Sunday, April 10, 2022

Blooms Quilt

I thought about starting an EPP (English paper piecing) project last fall but just couldn't decide what design. I thought about making some random hexie flowers but I didn't want to just start something without know where it was going to go.

Years ago I had made a grandmother's flower garden quilt. I enjoyed the process but I didn't want to make another one. 

While perusing quilt blogs one day, I came across A Quilting Life hosted by Sherri. Her February 1st post was titled January 2022 Favorites and more. When I saw the picture of her Bouquet Quilt, I knew what my next EPP project was going to be, hexie flowers but also piecing! This was very doable so I immediately ordered the pattern.

I decided hexies would be perfect for a traveling project. I prepped squares and took them along to Phoenix. Here are the flowers that were EPP'd.

And yes, I do baste right through the paper on the back of the hexies. That's fine if you don't baste your hexies this way, just don't Quilt Police on me!

I didn't buy special fabrics for Blooms, I'm just pulling from my stash, the backgrounds fabrics too. Right now I'm planning on this quilt being a red and white wall hanging with 12 blocks.

In Sherri's post, she calls the quilt Bouquet but the pattern title is Blooms so that is why I'm calling my wall quilt Blooms.

I'm not in a hurry for this project to be finished. I do have a quilt I'm appliqueing (Hearts & Wreaths) and a quilt in the hand quilting frame (Welsh Beauty) besides other quilts to be pieced. This project was not on my list of Challenges for 2022.


I also took along a skein of cotton yarn and knitted a dish cloth which I left it with my daughter.


Linking to Kathys Slow Stitching Sunday, Stitching Stuff, Oh Scrap, Show & Tell Monday, Monday Making, Handmade Monday, Design Wall Monday

19 comments:

Kim said...

Your new hexie/piecing Blooms quilt looks lovely. The hexies you have stitched thus far are pretty; lovely fabrics. It's always nice to dream of other quilts even though one is quilting other quilts. Gives something to look forward to. The yellow variegated yarn is pretty in the dishcloth.

Pack Rat With a Plan said...

The red and yellow make a great combination.

Preeti said...

Love the red/pink hexie blooms. Perfect for spring. You cannot hurry a hexie project...but I am sure you will enjoy the relaxed process and watch it come together. I will too :-)

CathieJ said...

Your blooms look beautiful. I will enjoy watching your progress on this project.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Such pretty blooms in your sewing garden!

Angela said...

Love those flowers!

Maggie said...

The EPP is always fun, I started one a few years back and it is somewhere in my sewing room. They will appear when they want to be found. Your hexies looks beautiful and we all do it our own way, the end result is still the same so it doesn’t matter what others have to say about it. Have enjoyed the beautiful photos of your trip, thank you for sharing them with all of us.

Deb A said...

I had to click when I saw those pretty red hexagons. What a great quilt that will be. I hope to try EPP soon....I'm starting with the Brimfield Awakening block.

linda said...

I love your hexies the fabrics are so pretty I am thinking of doing something similar but I need to assemble all the materials I need first and it will be a first for me, I can't wait to see how yours progresses.

Quilter Kathy said...

A very fun project start... love the flower fabrics!
And that dishcloth is so pretty... a great gift!

Paula said...

I love your hexagons and your Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. I baste my paper pieces the same way. It works great for me. Have fun!

Karrin Hurd said...

Love your hexagons, and that dishcloth is cheery! Happy stitching!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

No quilt police here. I am a partner in crime because I baste right through the paper too. Thanks for sharing your lovely blooms with Oh Scrap!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

That will be a cute quilt. Great project for traveling! We are all different in our quilting techniques. You have to make yourself happy when working on a quilt! Hugs

Sara said...

I love all those reds in your hexies! The blue one I worked on all winter in the car rides to basketball games is nearly done - just needing binding. It was a perfect travel project, and I've got another hexie project started for future trips.

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Your "Blooms" are very pretty. It will be a beautiful
quilt when finished. Have a great day!

Bonnie said...

Those hexes look so cute. I like red a lot and those fabrics really talk to me. Have fun with the new project.

Kate said...

Your Grandmother's Flower Garden turned out beautifully. Love all your "red" blooms. Happy stitching this week.

AnnieO said...

Great quilts! Love the colors of your newest EPP.