Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Art of Quilting Show

The Kaleidoscope of Quilts show was held in Mesa. After viewing all the lovely quilts at that show, we drove to Gilbert to view the quilts at the Historical museum for their Art of Quilting Show. 

As with the other show, these are only a few pictures of the many  quilts I took. Some of the quilts were antiques, some newer quilts. Some were for sale, most were not. I might have been tempted to buy one of the sale quilts but I knew there was no way I could fit any quilts in my suitcase.


I don't know what happened to the information for this quilt. I can tell you the quilt is called Windmill Blades and is owned/made by Nancy Ostman of New York.

I think these fabrics were wool. It looked thick! The pineapple strips were very narrow, maybe 1/4"? This quilt was (I'm guessing here) 40" by 40"?








Besides the regular museum staff, some days there are volunteers who demonstrate quilting. We were there on one of those days. 

I took pictures of the of the quilts they were working on. This was an older strip pieced quilt.


One of the ladies told me how she marked this quilt. I had never seen the woven border with the flowers. She adapted the stencil. I'm going to have to try this sometime. Quilters are very inventive people!


This pink basket is an older quilt that was in the room. I don't think they quilted this one. I didn't have them open it up to full sized. It looked fragile so a quarter size was fine with me.

14 comments:

Created by Kathi said...

Oh Gretchen… how fun was that to visit mesa and a quilt exhibit with busy hand quilters at work!!! I would love that! Thanks for the cool photos you shared too!
Kathi

Maggie said...

Dear Gretchen,
Wow, it is always a pleasure to read about the history of the quilts, the makers and the stories about them. The hand quilting is beautiful and when we read how they hand pieced the tops, it is just amazing. Thank you for sharing the wonderful quilts with us. Hand quilting is my favourite and it is relaxing.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

those old quilts sure are pretty and we know they took hours to make

grammajudyb said...

Thanks for sharing! The quilts are wonderful!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such gorgeous quilts . I am in awe with the Windmill Blade quilt. Gorgeous. Well they all are. Have a wonderful week. Happy quilting.

mereth said...

Nice to visit the quilt show through your photos. My favourite is the applique on a pale pink background, just lovely. The one with wool/poly batting interested me, and the recommendation for dry cleaning. We use a 60/40 wool batting almost exclusively and it washes fine, gentle cold machine wash and slow spin.Perhaps the american version is heavier or more fragile, I don't know

Gretchen Weaver said...

I've quilted several quilts with wool batting and I don't dry clean them. Dry cleaning is probably that quilter's preference. Those dogwood flowers on the pink background are so pretty.

Ivani said...

Gorgeous quilts. Thanks for sharing, Gretchen.

Linda said...

These quilts are amazing. I especially love the dogwood ones. The narrow strips on the pineapple quilt are unbelievable! Looks like you had a great trip.
Thank you for sharing with us at To Do Tuesday!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

What a lovely quilt show! Thank you so much for taking us along and sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Beautiful quilts! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Carla said...

What a wonderful show. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Bonnie said...

What a bounty of beautiful quilts. Thanks for sharing them.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for sharing the show with us, Gretchen!