Sunday, April 24, 2022

Slow Sunday Unsewing

I'm very embarrassed, I wrote last weeks Sunday post in a hurry on Saturday and didn't even think about Sunday being Easter! I hope you all blessed Resurrection Sunday whether you celebrated with friends, family or by yourself.

Earlier this week I posted about the Blue Ridge Beauty quilt I'm working on. The individual blocks had been pieced and the display floor arranging was ready to begin.

I started with the 2 first blocks, 2 of the center blocks. I had planned to work my way out towards the outside edge.

They don't line up, something is wrong!

I had the instructions right beside my sewing machine as I sewed these blocks together, I checked the book several times. Yes, they were laying correctly, NOT!

Today for Slow Stitching Sunday, I'm removing the stitching for the bottom HST block then turning it to it's correct position and pinning it in place so I won't make the same mistake twice. There are several hundred blocks in this quilt, I think I'll be slow unstitching for several days.

Oh well, I have several movies to watch to entertain me while I correct my mistake. Even after all these years of making quilts, I can still find ways to make silly mistakes. 

Linking to Kathys Slow Stitching Sunday,  Oh Scrap, Show & Tell Monday, Monday Making, Handmade Monday, Design Wall Monday

13 comments:

Mrs. T said...

It is so very frustrating when we catch an error after all that sewing!! Happy unstitching 🙄

sue s said...

I'm making a similar pattern and even after making a hundred of these, I still have to check each one! Good luck with the un-stitching.

Ray and Jeanne said...

Ugh! It's bad enough when you catch the mistake on the first block. At least you have movies to watch so this will probably go quickly. ~Jeanne

Created by Kathi said...

I think this is the challenge AND enjoyment of the quilt making process.... to do something you have done many times then mess it up and need to unpick... is there a quilter who finds at a point they don't need a seam ripper?? Enjoy your weekend with Jack! lol
Kathi

grammajudyb said...

I think many of us have been there. I often lay out the block correctly and end up sewing the wrong edges together, Ugh! I have a seam ripper at every chair!

Deb A said...

I think we all still do that with some blocks. I tend to make one correct one and place it by the machine to triple check now... (and still manage to mess up sometimes!) Enjoy the movies and the unpicking.

Karrin Hurd said...

So sorry you have to rip. I also lay the block out beside me, but have gotten it wrong still.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

I don't think I've ever made a quilt without having to "un-sew" something. I do feel better once it's done, though. Good luck with the ripping!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Whoops! It is frustrating to be SEW careful only to discover an error. Sorry about that, Gretchen!

Quilting Gail said...

Hi Gretchen!
When I made Blue Ridge Beauty, I, too, had a LOT of unsewing to do! Since I did the quilt as a leader and ender, I un-sewed as sort of a leader and ender, sewing the block correctly as I went along. You will have a BEAUTIFUL quilt in the end!

Bonnie said...

Oh no. Sorry to hear that there will be serious ripping out happening in your neck of the woods!

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh yes we all have sewing experiences like this one! Hope the unsewing goes quickly and the blocks are fixed in no time!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Oh Gretchen, tell me that you had all the blocks finished and now have to correct them all? What are they supposed to look like? Hugs