Friday, November 26, 2021

Another 16 Patch Quilt

I had worked with the 16 patch blocks before retreat but didn't have time to finish it. I bagged it up and stuck it in my retreat bag. It was the first project under the needle Wednesday afternoon/evening at the retreat.

I didn't have quite enough of the 16 patch blocks to make an entire quilt so I used some of the leftover puss in the corner blocks from the first 16 patch quilt top.


The sashing for this quilt was leftover quilt backing. I've always liked this gray fabric. The cornerstones were going to be all darker grays from the 2.5" squares box. While I was bagging the pieces for the quilt, I noticed a mini charm pack that I had won. It has been sitting on the small table in the cutting room for years! I threw that little pack into the bag and they were also used for cornerstones.

The flimsy measures 62" by 81.5" and will be donated to the comforter bash.

The 16 patch blocks were made monthly through the RSC, a good way to make them!

Someone commented that my Christmas tree looks lovely. This isn't my tree, this is a tree from the Farmstead Motel in Shipshewana. We don't have a buggy in our house either!

There were 4 of the alternate puss in the corner blocks left. I thought how interesting a tone on tone quilt would be, wouldn't that be fun? I decided to sleep on it. The next day I thought what was I thinking?! I put the extra blocks into the extras block box, all the 2.5" squares were put into their correct box and same way with the strips. I'm not chasing that squirrel up a tree, at least not right now anyway.

Linking to Peacock Party, TGIFF!, Off the Wall Friday, UFO Busting, Scrap Happy Saturday, Oh Scrap

22 comments:

Julierose said...

What a lovely finish on the 16-patch quilt! And your tree looks wonderful --gosh, presents wrapped under there already!! How festive ;))
hugs, Julierose

Gretchen Weaver said...

The tree isn't at our house, it's one from the motel. They decorate really nice there, me, not so much. Happy stitching!

Angela said...

It is a gorgeous quilt!

QuiltGranma said...

Such a very nice flimsy, so pretty and bright.

Margaret said...

A very pretty quilt! I've been making 16-patch blocks...but assembled them without sashing as a postage stamp quilt. Now I might have to try them with sashing; I liked your version alot!

Jenny said...

This top has turned our beautifully, lots of gorgeous colours.

Terry said...

Very pretty! :0)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's so pretty, Gretchen! The puss in the corner blocks fit right in. And good for you for not following the squirrel idea - that's hard to do!

maggie fellow said...

haha - very pretty 16 patch. I haven't looked at my collection yet

Cathy said...

Gorgeous quilt top! And the setting for your photo is really nice, too (even if it’s not yours!). Congrats on showing restraint from The Squirrel, but be aware that he may have planted an idea seed/nut in your brain for the future. Those squirrels are naughty that way!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Congrats on a pretty new quilt top! And it is so nice of you to donate it. Great idea adding in the puss in the corner blocks, I really had to look for them.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Those add-on blocks are so well disguised that they don't stand out at all in your quilt--great solution!!! Such a cute display of your quilt--is that a miniature buggy?

Deb A said...

What a great place to display your quilt for a photo! Too funny about not chasing that squirrel up a tree! Congrats on the finish.

Gretchen Weaver said...

It's a smaller buggy. It would be a perfect size for children to drive to school. They usually have a smaller buggy or pony cart.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm over the idea of a tone on tone quilt, at least for another. I came up with another squirrel! Post about it later.

karenbbsnow said...

Great flimsy finish!

scraphappy said...

Maybe your squirrel will come back later. Always so tempting to let one quilt just keep leading to another. Glad you got all those 16 patch blocks put to good use. Such a fun collection of color!

Rose said...

Very nice quilt top. I would love to go on a retreat. Maybe one day.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Awesome RSC quilt top finish, Gretchen!! Good call on using up that old mini charm pack for the cornerstones. I absolutely LOVE the fact that you threw in those orphan blocks to complete the layout!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Lovely scrappy quilt top. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Wow, Gretchen! You make the best scrappy tops!

Sandy Panagos said...

Love how a project like that comes together. And good job chasing that squirrel outta there!