Sunday, July 18, 2021

Lady Jane, Starting the Applique

A friend and I spent a day together in June working on quilting projects. I had the center of Lady Jane traced onto the backside of the fabric so I took it along. At Lori's, I back basted stems so I could start applique as soon as I finished blue Stars Around the Garden.


Several weeks later, Elaine invited a group of us from the guild to get together and do some hand work while visiting. Of course I took Lady Jane.

The stems are all completed so now the flowers are started. i was going to take a picture of just the stems but I forgot.

The background fabric is an 'old' white with tiny gray dots.

I see on other blogs that some appliquers stick all the pieces on their background fabric with glue stick, I don't know how they keep pieces from falling off, I just work at my applique one piece at a time and eventually it is finished.

Click here for a link to the Lady Jane pattern.

Here is an update on the Quilt Garden in Wakarusa. The flowers are growing! And here is a link to a post about the Quilt Garden in June. You can learn more about the Quilt Gardens along the Heritage Trail.


Linking to
 Patchwork & QuiltsKathy's Slow Sunday Stitching,  Oh Scrap, Show & Tell Monday,  Monday Making, Design Wall Monday, Handmade Monday, BOM's Away

18 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Nice start on Lady Jane. Are you going to use blues for the entire quilt? Very pretty quilt garden. Happy stitching this week!

Katie said...

It's amazing how such beautiful things can be accomplished by doing just a little at a time. I'm looking forward to watching this one!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

beautiful gardens and will look forward to seeing the applique develop

Created by Kathi said...

How fun to have some days spent with other quilters while working on lady Jane!!! I love it and the flower garden too. Happy flower making now!!!
Kathi

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Lady Jane is a beautiful pattern! I'll enjoy seeing your progress with it. The Quilt Garden is wonderful!

CathieJ said...

That quilt patter is very pretty. I will enjoy watching your progress. That Quilt Garden is very pretty!

Ivani said...

It will be nice to track your progress with Lady Jane.
The quilt garden is so beautiful.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Nice beginning with your Lady Jane project. I've tried back basting and wasn't as successful at it as I had hoped. I use a few drops of Elmers glue or a few stitches to hold an applique piece in place. . .think of it as tacked. Not having to work around pins is terrific! The quilt garden is stunning!

Quilter Kathy said...

Fun to start a new project. I would like to try back basting and experiment with it on my mending project. Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

AnnieO said...

Applique and I are not great friends, but yours is looking wonderful! The flower garden/quilt is very pretty.

Sarah said...

That lady Jane centre panel has a lot of parts to it, but it's a real beauty. I remember reading about the quilt garden in your previous post, it looks so pretty.

chrisknits said...

That's less than 3 hours from me, I might have to look into heading north sometime during the blooming season. Lovely appliqué work.

Karrin Hurd said...

What a beautiful quilt I will enjoy seeing your progress on! Happy stitching!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I love to see how you do anything especially applique. I will take a look at Lady Jane; thanks for the link. Aren't those quilt gardens so special!

Jenny said...

Another lovely start, I'll enjoy watching your progress on this beauty tooa!

Sharon Kwilter said...

That is going to be an amazing applique project.

Sum of their Stories said...

This is going to be another beauty!

Lynette said...

You work on the best quilts, Gretchen. :)