Saturday, July 17, 2021

Jumbo Granny Squares

Since the RSC color for July is darker blue or darker fabrics, I decided to just use up more of the older squares in the 2.5" box.


As you can see by looking at these blocks, I am using a variety of fabrics that are close shades. Even though they're not exactly the same, they work just fine. This way I can use more of the blocks in the box and don't need to cut new squares.

Sometimes the squares don't match as well but these brown blocks are all in the brown family so I used them.

Sometimes the added blocks really aren't the same shade but I use them anyway.

I made 5 more blocks. With the blocks I sewed earlier, I now have 10 blocks completed. Just two more blocks and I'll have enough for a charity quilt.

It's so nice to open that box and see the amount of squares being reduced.

The directions for making jumbo granny squares is found here on Becky's blog.

Linking to Scrap Happy Saturday

11 comments:

Kat Scribner said...

LOVE your granny squares, Gretchen. Thanks for the link to instructions.

Ivani said...

Beautiful and happy new blocks, Gretchen!
Happy weekend!

maggie fellow said...

oh they look really nice- hope I get to that quilt someday

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I really like the look of those blocks! It will be fun to see how they come together in a quilt.

Maggie said...

Dear Gretchen,
I am doing the same, snap! Using what is already cut and waiting in a box. Just sewing the squares and triangle square blocks together. At the end of it we all end up with hopefully enough blocks for another scrappy quilt. Your blocks looks so beautiful with all the different colours.

grammajudyb said...

Just what our grandmothers would have done! Use what you have! I love that you are doing that!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

kudos for using what's in your bin! the quilt will surely shine!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

This is going to be a beautiful quilt, Gretchen. You have such a lovely variety of fabrics. Happy quilting.

Pamela Arbour said...

I think you are doing great with your blocks. But I lean toward scrappy anyway!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Great Granny is looking SEW good, Gretchen!!

QuiltGranma said...

An old saying that still holds true: use it up, wear it out, make do or do without.