Friday, May 21, 2021

Friday Finish

The machine quilting on 9 patches and turquoise squares has been completed. I did the quilting using supposed straight lines 1/2" from the seam line between the blocks. Then I quilted diagonally through the 9 patch blocks. The quilting isn't perfect but the family I gift this quilt to won't care. It will be loved and much used.

The solid squares show blue in this photo but trust me, they're really turquoise.


The backing fabric is a gray wholecloth print. I always like to see the stained glass view.


I laid the quilt on my bed, now the squares look turquoise.


A close up view of the quilting on the top.


The quilting shows nicely on the back.


I remember to take a quilt roll photo,


but I still can't make a quilt swirl.

The finished quilt measures 58" by 77" and is the largest quilt I've machine quilted. 

I posted about piecing this quilt in March. I hadn't planned on piecing this quilt at this time, but when I read about Spring Dreams, the 9 patch sew along Jayne was organizing, I decided to make this planned someday quilt instead. The 3" finished 9 patches were already pieced, I just needed to cut the turquoise fabric and sew the blocks together. It feels so good to have a UFQ finished!

24 comments:

eileen said...

Turned out beautifully!! I always love a nine patch quilt, so many possibilities!!!
A real beauty, enjoy it!!!

Marie said...

Beautiful! Love the turquoise and I'm certain that the lucky recipients will too.

Rose Marie said...

Who doesn't love a 9-patch quilt? Lovely and it will be enjoyed!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the quilting is perfect for a nine patch!

Julierose said...

This is a beautiful quilt!! I love how it looks on the bed!! It will be cherished i am sure--nice work hugs, Julierose

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

I love how the blue sets off the nine patches with light corners. Terrific!

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

Beautiful! And this is one design that will never go out of style. I'm sure it will be loved and appreciated. : )

Angela said...

Gorgeous quilt!

grammajudyb said...

It reads spectacular,Gretchen! The turquoise is inspired!

grammajudyb said...

My first post needs editing! It REALLY IS spectacular !

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Really, really pretty. Great job!

Chookyblue...... said...

the quilt looks great.....its always fun talking lots of photos at the end.......

Ivani said...

It is a beautiful quilt. Congratulations!!! I like how you quilted it. Simple and effective. It will be treasured, for sure.

Pamela Arbour said...

You did a great job on this. People who appreciate your quilts don't look for mistakes, just for comfort and love!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a beautiful quilt - I love that turquoise inbetween - it is so bold and colorful!! Just my style!! Good job!

Sharon Kwilter said...

Congratulations on the finish!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Beautiful quilt, congratulations! I love your comment about "supposed" straight lines, that's how mine always are.

The Joyful Quilter said...

It's a classic, cozy quilt, Gretchen, and oh-SEW-lovely!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a pretty color of turquoise, and fun with the scrappy 9 patches! Beautiful finish, Gretchen!

Deb said...

I love a nine patch! Congrats on the finish!
and the Vaccination!

Sue said...

You are certainly a gifted quilter in every way!! Your hand quilting is exquisite and your machine quilting is great. Whoever gets that lovely quilt is very fortunate to receive it! Love the nine patches!

QuiltGranma said...

I love 9-patch quilts, and with that gorgeous turquoise it is a WOW. Scrap-a-licious!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A wonderful 9patch quilt! I love the turquoise background, and that last pic is delightful... it really captures all that quilty softness!

Muv said...

Hello Gretchen,
It's gorgeous! And it's massive! Congratulations on quilting it all in one piece.
Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks.
Love, Muv