Thursday, March 14, 2024

The Anniversary Quilt

The Anniversary quilt is a flimsy, Plan B was a success!


Sunday was a windy day but I didn't realize how windy until I tried to take pictures. The quilt on the glider went fine. It's up against the wall so the wind doesn't blow there unless it's directly from the north.


The quilt hanging from the display line didn't go so well. You can see the farmer standing behind the flimsy tried to keep it under control. I took it down to try for pictures another day.

I was gone all day Monday so I tried Tuesday around oneish. Again it was too windy so I took the flimsy down and took a picture displayed on our bed. 


The farmer told me let's try again around 7 pm when the wind dies down. We did but it was still windy!

Wednesday morning I checked to see when sunrise was forecast, 7:45. I hung the flimsy on the display line and took the pictures at 7:55. Success!


Here is what the back of the quilt looks like.


After I took the picture of the back of the quilt, the flimsy started to slightly billow and float upward, the picture was taken just in time!

The border around the carpenter star is 9 patches, both kinds. Nine patches worked perfectly and the border looks like random squares which was the effect I was going for.

I pulled all the purples I had and strip pieced the blocks. If the fabric had purple in it, it went in the quilt. The turquoise (there are purple blotches on that fabric) adds a nice contrast to the purples.

I used the 5" Moda Love pattern for the carpenter's star in the center. I did buy fabric for the star because I wanted it to be a single color.

The outside border is a dark blue batik that has blotches of purple in it. I have no memory of buying this fabric but it was perfect for this quilt.

This flimsy measures 96" square. I'll get it to Lori sometime this summer for quilting.

Another project crossed off my 2024 list. Now I actually get to start a NEW quilt!

Linking to Midweek Makers, Wednesday Wait LossNeedle & Thread Thursday, Put Your Foot DownTGIFF!, Whoop Whoop Party, Finished or Not  Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Beauty Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts

27 comments:

Connie Kauffman said...

Love that nine patch border!

smithcindyk said...

Love your quilt! What a great scrap buster!

Linda said...

LOVE the purples mixed with the blues! All those colors just mix so well. And the nine-patch border is just brilliant. You've given me an idea for another quilt - lol! It's so big, I can't wait to see your finish. Nicely done!

Anne-Marie said...

Gorgeous! Love the nine patches around the central star.

greaterexp said...

Hurrah! Another wonderful finish! Great pattern, too!

Anonymous said...

What’s not to love about blue and purple AND the checkerboard border is just the icing on the cake

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Stunning! What a lovely quilt this will be. Can't wait to see it quilted! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/03/13/wednesday-wait-loss-371

Jeanna said...

Your quilt flimsy is stunning! Those colors are gorgeous, some of my favorites.

Raewyn said...

The lengths we have to go to in order to get decent photos!! Your quilt top is gorgeous♥ Keeping to the controlled colour palette was a great decision.

Jenny said...

I love the colours in this one.

Donna said...

Just beautiful! Love your color choices!

Lin said...

Isn't that stunning! All those touches of purple work so well together. xx

Rose Marie said...

Oh, so wonderful! Love your idea of the nine patches!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow!! That was a great plan - it turned out amazing!!!

T Holzer said...

Beautiful! Just look at the sparkle in it!!

QuiltGranma said...

I'm sure it will be treasured!

Chantal said...

Awesome job! Gorgeous Love Star in there. I am working with the same pattern from Moda, but my pieces are much smaller. Love all the blues with the purple pieces in the border. Beautiful! ;^)

Ray and Jeanne said...

This is gorgeous. I'm not really a purple person but I do love this quilt! ~Jeanne

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Absolutely lovely. I love the mix of blues and purple squares around the stunning center.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

This is a stunner, Gretchen! Congratulations on finishing the top. Have a lovely weekend.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a gorgeous quilt! All those bluey, purply colours go together so beautifully!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your quilt border is gorgeous. Congratulations on the photo shoot, and thanks for sharing your lovely finish!

K Reeves said...

Just beautiful, Gretchen, and some of my favorite colors!

Kate said...

Gorgeous! Love all the purples.

maggie fellow said...

beautiful and I always love purple

PaintedThread said...

What a beautiful quilt. So many pretty purples.

time4stitchn said...

Yeah for the finish! As always, you make such amazing quilts. Great colors around the center. Simple, yet so effective as it lets the star accentuated in the center.