Thursday, March 7, 2024

Anniversary Quilt

I want to start a new quilt project in 2024 but again, I'm going to finish piecing a project started in 2023.

When I published my list of quilting projects for 2024 in January, I included a gift quilt to be made for an anniversary happening in 2025. Yes, I know that's a long time away but I don't like to be scrambling at the last minute, that's not how I work.

I am using the 5" Moda Love pattern for the center of the quilt. I haven't used a charm pack though. For the center, I purchased purple fabrics so the star would be the same color.

Since I had sewed the HST's at the November retreat, it was a simple matter to arrange the various pieces on my display wall.

Then I sewed the individual blocks together into the star.

The quilt is going to be a medallion style so borders were added. It measures 48.5 now.

I thought I had done the math correctly and it would work to add 8" finished log cabin blocks. I did not do the math correctly, log cabin blocks are NOT going to work.

I've come up with a plan B which I will show you next week. 

Linking to Midweek Makers, Wednesday Wait LossNeedle & Thread Thursday, Put Your Foot DownTGIFF!, Whoop Whoop Party, Finished or Not  Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Beauty Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts

15 comments:

Ray and Jeanne said...

Very pretty so far. I always hate it when the math doesn't work. I'm glad you have a plan B to border this. ~Jeanne

Bonnie said...

It looks great so far. I hate doing math and especially when I do it wrong. Looking forward to seeing what transpires next week.

time4stitchn said...

Ugh! Math calculations! I prefer thinking it through in my head and drawing a simple picture. Usually it works; but, at other times, I find myself in your same situation. I love your design so far. It will be interesting to see what other blocks and combinations you come up with.

Lin said...

I do love those fabrics - just my colours! xx

Helenchaffin said...

Beautiful start so far,I started keeping a notebook of every detail that I do on projects ,keeps from having to take the math class over 🤣🤣

Linda said...

Gosh that is a pretty start!! Love that center pattern, and the border just makes it perfect.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Your center is very pretty! Excited to see the next round and 'how' you solved your riddle!

Jeanna said...

This is a beautiful start to what looks like will be a perfect anniversary quilt. I found you on Sarah's Confessions of a Fabric Addict linky party, in case you are wondering :)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Beautiful medallion block, Gretchen. This very special project will no doubt be another beauty! I hate quilt math.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love your medallion star and the border with squares. Sorry for your math issue, but I'm sure plan B will be perfect!
Thank you for sharing this lovely new project!

Margaret said...

The Carpenter's Star is a lovely pattern -- and I like your two-colour decision. I made one several years ago -- king-sized -- for my daughter to give to special friends for their 20th wedding anniversary. To ensure it was big enough I included a piano key border. I can't post a photo here but if you go to the blog post in which I posted a 'finish' photo, you'll see what I mean. Maybe it'll help with your border decisions: http://www.margaretblank.com/2015/08/eb-interrupted.html

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

This is such a lovely quilt in progress. I look forward too following your progress in this beauty.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

This is going to make such a beautiful anniversary quilt! You did the math right and 8" finished blocks will work as the next border if the quilt measures 48-1/2" square right now. (Six on the sides and 8 along the top and bottom) I hope you continue with your original plan as log cabin blocks would be awesome for this! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/03/06/wednesday-wait-loss-370

Denise said...

So frustrating when we miscalculate. Love your medallion. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Beautiful Block. You will enjoy designing the quilt as you go along. It is fun! Hugs