Thursday, March 21, 2024

Sewing Comforter Bindings

I don't like knotting comforters, instead I have volunteered to sew the bindings using this tutorial

In the first part of February, I sewed bindings on four comforters from church. When I returned those four, I brought two more home. After they were finished, I took pictures of them to show you.

Comforters are different from quilts in that they're usually made with larger blocks and they're knotted, not quilted.

The comforter on the left has been knotted. Here is a close up of the knots.

The comforter on the left has been strung (stringed?) but the strings haven't been cut. That will happen later when there is a 'knotting'. Usually crochet thread is used for strings/knotting, sometimes yarn is also used.

The last time I showed a 'stringed' comforter, people said in the comments they couldn't see the strings, now you can! In April my church will have a snip & knot evening where anyone can come and help knot comforters.

My friend Elaine went to the resource at the MCC Depot and brought home 4 comforter tops and knotted them. I had told her that I would bind them for her. She was happy to hear that, she dislikes the binding process. We work well together, I dislike the knotting process and would rather bind! Here is a picture of the 4 comforters she knotted.


The two outside comforters are both the same design. The blue Dresden is cheater cloth, a pre-printed fabric. I used to see a lot of 'cheater' cloth in stores.

The above comforters were bound in February but more comforters have come to me in March. After I finished piecing the anniversary quilt, I got to work and did more bindings.

Here are three more from church.


The red one in the center was a top that was given to me. I added the red outside border. There are many ladies from church who sew bindings, I don't always get 'my' comforter tops back. These comforters will also be knotted at the 'snip & knot' at my church.

The day I told Elaine that I would sew the binding on the comforters, Marie was there and asked if I would bind some comforters for her, sure! I'm glad to help. The next three are from Marie and are also going to MCC.


Most of the comforters are made from large square blocks, 5" or larger.


But that quilt in the center was made with bricks that finished at 2" by 4". It was so cute! I've never made a brick quilt but if I would, the bricks would probably be 4" by 8" or larger!


So far this year I've sewed bindings on 20 comforters. I'm a small part in the process, last year MCC shipped almost 60,000 comforters to people who needed them. 

17 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

Pretty quilts! sounds like you two make the perfect team for getting those quilt tops done ,I made a tie quilt recently but it's coming untied & not sure why

Lois said...

The church sewing group I attend weekly is making 24 knotted comforters for a mission center in West Virginia. Some of the ladies have never knotted a comforter before. I like the idea of stringing them one day and knotting/ tieing them another! Something to think about.

Connie Kauffman said...

You amaze me how much you get done!

Linda said...

I'm with you, I'd rather bind! I've made 3 or 4 knotted quilts, and it seems to take for-ev-er! That brick quilt is really pretty - now I want to make one!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I'd rather quilt Lol - I never cared for making knotted quilts and I don't think there is anything about the process I liked - I helped a church group once and wondered if they would come untied when washed

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

I love how this has worked out, and each person is focusing on the tasks they like to do. The result is a large group of lovely charity quilts! Wow you have so many finished. They will bring such happiness. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/03/20/wednesday-wait-loss-372

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

You've done a great job! They are lovely quilts... I tied a quilt once... and never since... not sure why! I do enjoy binding quilts though.. xx

Lin said...

Thank you for your explanations - it all makes a lot more sense now. What an amazing job you all do. xx

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Teamwork!! I love it - and look at that great variety of quilts!

Denise said...

All are gorgeous. I have a few antique quilts that are tied with yarn, they are treasures. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

Anonymous said...

I knotted the first couple of quilts I made as a teenager. They were just squares sewn together. Sounds like you and your church ladies have a way to make the process quick and easy. Many hands make light work. Beautiful comforters! Gail at the cozy quilter.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a neat and informative post, Gretchen. I learned the difference between a comforter and quilt and realized my first efforts had been comforters. How wonderful of you and the ladies to make these lovely warming gifts which I'm sure are so appreciated!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

How nice to be complementary for finishing quilts, you have found the perfect pair! Great job binding all these quilts, thank you for sharing them and your tutorial.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

That brick quilt with all the colorful pieces is really something!!! I know from experience how fun it can be to tie a quilt together with a group of ladies!

Anonymous said...

Wow! So many amazing finishes. I like the idea of a knotting party!!—TerryK@OnGoingProjects

Leanne Parsons said...

How wonderful that you can work with others to do the part you like while they do the part they like! Teamwork at its finest!

Nann said...

How generous of you to volunteer to bind these comforters!