Saturday, February 12, 2022

Scrappy Sprouts

Another of my carry-over projects (started in 2020) for RSC is scrappy sprouts. At the end of January, I arranged all my blocks on my display floor to get an idea of what I was doing. Unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture.

I decided my dark blocks weren't dark enough so that's what I'll be making this year.

I've made 4 deep dark teal blocks.

Here is a photo of all of my teal blocks. 

I did wonder if they would blend together if they were made a year apart. I think they do, I also think they'll work well any of the other colors.

I lost sleep over this quilt the night I pieced these blocks. I woke up during the night and started planning how I was going to arrange all the blocks. 

Then I started thinking about the flowers for the top of the sprouts. Not all of the sprout quilts I've seen have added flowers but I want to. I've seen Dresden or sunflowers but I think I'm going to go with the flower design by Krista of poppyprint. Isn't that flower lovely?

I remember viewing someone's sprout quilt that had clouds and a sun in the sky, very pretty. I don't remember who it was and I didn't bookmark the post. I do remember clicking on the post from the RSC linkup.

I don't think I'm going to do clouds and the sun though, the sprouts and flowers are enough for me. 

Here is a link for general directions for Scrappy Sprouts.

Linking to Scrap Happy Saturday, Patchwork & Quilts, Oh Scrap

19 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I looked at the link that that is a cute top that she designed for her sprouts

Preeti said...

They blend in a beautiful ombre gradient :-) I am sure the rounded flowers will add the perfect balance to the angular leaves. Have a great weekend!

scraphappy said...

I have some scrappy sprout blocks in need of flowers as well, I love the ones that you linked to. I thought the Dresden's might be too much, but the semi circular version might be just right. Your teals make a lovely gradient.

grammajudyb said...

I have a project box full of sprout blocks too! I need to get that quilt finished! I like the “folk art” flower from the link you shared. And I like what Little Penguin did with her! I may just do Sprouts! Thank for reminding me!

Sara said...

Ooooooo - I like the gradient colors on those leaves. I often wake up at night thinking about quilt layouts or color choices. LOL Have a fun weekend sewing!!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

These sprouts are going to be wonderful, and the flowers you will made on top are a lovely pattern. They really blend together very nicely, well done!
I remember seeing Diann from Little Penguin Quilts making a blue sky over her sprouts.
Thanks for sharing, and linking up ;)

Jennifer said...

i keep seeing these sprout blocks pop up- i really need to put this on my list! haha... there's always RSC23, right? i think diane of little penguin quilts is the clouds/sky/sprouts that you're thinking of...

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are beautiful flowers for your Sprouts! I like your lighter to darker layout, too. It will be fun to see this quilt come together!

Maggie said...

Dear Gretchen,
Wow, these reminds me of the Jack and the beanstalk. It is beautiful and will look gorgeous with flowers on top.

Ivani said...

Great gradient from dark to light sprouts and your plan for the flowers are perfect.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

What a good idea, to add dark blocks to the lighter ones! Kind of like making a new quilt while finishing a UFO! This will be even more beautiful with your flowers at the top.

gayle said...

I love your sprouts! And thanks for the link to those great flowers! (One of these years I'm actually going to remember to start making sprouts...)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lovely TEAL additions to your collection of Sprout blocks!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

They look so pretty!! xx

Susie H said...

Those flowers are absolutely beautiful and are the perfect addition to your gorgeous sprouts. The darker section gives depth to the previous sewn section. You've got a good thing going on there!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

These are turning out so pretty! I went to look at Krista's flowers and think that would be a wonderful topper. These sprouts are making me want to make some. I once dreamed about quilting something which made me wonder if I was getting out enough, LOL. But it was during a lockdown. Happy Stitching to you!

QuiltE said...

Your flower topper will be perfect to top off those dark to light sprouts! Another fabulous finish is coming together for you. And oh my, how Welsh Beauty is exactly that!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

These sprout blocks make such cute quilt. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Raewyn said...

Oh you remind me that I have sprouts awaiting attention too... I remember struggling to ease from one colour/shade to the next. Yours are looking lovely; that deep teal will; add nice depth. (I have that Homespun magazine with the flowers and was thinking they would be a nice addition.) I do love all your snow pictures (other posts), and the sledding sounds like it would be lots of fun!