Friday, February 4, 2022

More Double Delight

I know I said in my last post I was going to sew all of the yellow square/square blocks for Double Delight but I changed my mind. I wanted to see what the rolling stone blocks looked like if I didn't use the same fabric on the bottom part of the blocks. I pieced 6 more blocks to see what I thought.

I think I'll keep on piecing them this way. I don't know that it really makes a difference except for maybe the block with the darker blocks. I kind of like that one but I only cut enough HST's for that block.

The display is rather wonky with the one off block on the right side. What do you think, does it make a difference if the bottom part of the yellow square/square is a different fabric? The bottom left block is the original block with the same fabric on all four sides.

There are some fabrics in this quilt that will be the same in each rolling stone block, the yellow in the square/square and the bright blue stars. The outside corner squares will all be dark blues but not all the same fabric. The background fabric is the same in the quilt and the double 9 patch blocks but the 9 patches were pieced with a variety of light fabrics.

Double Delight is a free Bonnie Hunter pattern which is located at the very bottom of the free pattern page.

Linking to Peacock Party, TGIFF!, Finished Or Not Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Brag About Your Beauties, Patchwork & Quilts, Oh Scrap

15 comments:

Preeti said...

I love the pop of red in the sea of blue, yellow and white. It is truly a delight. Gosh, I just wrote a poem :-D Hope you stay dry and warm.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Double Delight has always been one of my favorite BH patterns. True to form, your version is going to be gorgeous, Gretchen!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Here goes and this is just my preference - no criticism of your choice of fabrics. I love the first block listed above in the insert picture. I love the way the block makes the 9 patch blocks be the supporting background. The eye will always go to the darker one first. There is excellent contrast in the first block. It clearly showcases the 9 patch, the star and the dark square in a square corner blocks. For the effects of the centers of the 9 patch blocks keeping the same color down the middle would really make it pop.

But your quilts always turn out very pretty and where you are going with it will make you happy. It is so interesting as to how each quilter’s brain works with colors isn’t it. This quilt will be a lot of work but it will be a beauty when you finish - whichever way you go. Hugs

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Love the blues and yellow. Great job!

K Reeves said...

Love them all!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like all of it!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

So - as I look at the whole thing you have laid out - I just see balance and ways to move my eyes all over it... I'll have to keep looking to see what you are asking.
but!! I like it!!!

grammajudyb said...

Well, I think it’s fabulous! How can you go wrong with blue and yellow! It’s a BH pattern, she would support the scrappy blues and the pops of color. You’ve got great consistency by keeping the background and the yellow and the bright blue the same! It’s will be gorgeous as always!

Margo Yang said...

It's going to be a very gorgeous quilt! Love it!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I love it, Gretchen. I love the flow of the colors throughout . Perfection!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful blocks, I love those yellows and blues, and I love how you made the blocks slightly different.
Thank you for sharing and linking up today!

Ivani said...

I love this blocks the way they are.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Such pretty blocks, and great colors. My opinion, for what it's worth: the fabrics that are different are pretty close in color, and just add a little scrappy spice to the block. Either way, it will be a lovely quilt.

QuiltGranma said...

Sew pretty, since you seem concerned that some are different but similar fabrics, make sure to add more similar but different fabrics so it looks intended scrappy. That way you never run out of fabrics for this quilt.

MerryMeg said...

I thinkthink the reasont looks off is because you have laid out 4 in yhat row and it should only be 3. But the blocks are gorgeous!