Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Double Delight

When I pieced the yellow square/square blocks for Double Delight, I ran them all through the sewing machine, chain stitching as I went, pausing only to press two sides then chaining the other two sides. It was very boring and tiring.

I decided to not sew all of the corner sections at one time, sew a group, then piece several blocks together. I made 12 more blocks, which means I have 19 of the 56 needed blocks, just 37 more blocks to sew!

I didn't have room to display all the pieced blocks, besides, crawling around on the floor doesn't do knees any good.

I know I said I was going to use a single fabric for the stars but I changed my mind. I like alternating with a dark star then light stars. 

Double Delight is a free Bonnie Hunter pattern which is located at the very bottom of the free pattern page. This lovely design isn't a quick sew pattern but it's worth the work. If you are a 9 patch lover, this is a pattern I suggest you consider making someday. 

Linking to To Do TuesdayMidweek Makers, Wednesday Wait Loss, Put Your Foot Down, Stitch Sew & Show,  Needle & Thread Thursday 

14 comments:

Linda said...

Double Delight is just beautiful. I get bored chain piecing too, but you got it done!
Thank you for linking to To Do Tuesday!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

very nice - big quilts can get boring to work on though when it comes time to put them together!

grammajudyb said...

Gosh! I love it! I do like the stars in different blues! Just beautiful!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

The double delight looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing the link--I AM a 9-patch lover and I sure don't mind the work. Extra effort is always worth it IMO!

mereth said...

This is looking amazing in those colours. I'm being tempted to make another one but I have too many things started, without remaking ones I've already done!

Ray and Jeanne said...

This is going to be so pretty. I love that you are making light and dark stars - they look great. ~Jeanne

Maggie said...

Dear Gretchen, Double delight is a beautiful and bright sunny quilt in the middle of winter. Those yellows just warm up the blues, reminding me of a a warm summers day. Crawling on our knee’s on the floor is not comfortable as we get older.

Created by Kathi said...

I love how happy this double delight in your color way is… I think it looks like a bushel of daisies… so sorry it is boring chain piecing… but the end result is awesome 👏🏻 … can’t wait to see this one done!
Kathi

Preeti said...

Of course it is slow and tedious. Such a labor of love. I listen to peppy music to manage the boredom.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Double Delight is beautiful, Gretchen. I really like the alternating dark and light stars too. Have a great week . Happy quilting.

PaintedThread said...

Beautiful quilt. Bonnie Hunter quilts always have SO many pieces. Love the colors, too.

QuiltGranma said...

Since I live in a small space and our church has allowed us to use a classroom to sew or craft I have enjoyed sewing there once a month. Preparing the fabric (cutting strips at home) I come to basically just sew and press at the church. I have a totem bag with kitted up blocks in separate baggies ready to go. This helps relieve the tedium of sewing the same thing over and over again. If i choose i can make blocks for a different quilt or make a mix. The fun happens when you complete each block. If there are extra then I can make another quilt, similar yet with a difference. This has happened numerous times.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Looking great Gretchen. Love the yellow and blues - I like the way you are setting it with a light and a dark on the star blocks!
Sorry for the late comment.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

I like the alternating light and dark stars too! What a lovely quilt this is becoming. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.