Saturday, June 5, 2021

Purple Easy Breezy Blocks

I think, at last count, I have 6 RSC projects in progress. Five of those are based on the 2.5" strips box or 2.5" squares box. One of my goals for 2021 was to reduce the amount of squares and strips in those boxes and it's happening!

Twenty-four easy breezy blocks were pieced. If there was a smidge of purple in the fabric, it was used.



I didn't put all the blocks on the display wall, too many for the space!

Bonnie Hunter came up with the easy breezy idea last July for her annual leader/ender sew along. She gave instructions for blocks in 2 sizes, 6" finished and a 4" finished. 

Besides the size, my blocks are different from Bonnie in that I'm using colored fabrics for the sides, and the sashing too. There are more of the colored strips than neutrals!

My blocks are finishing at 8" using 2.5" strips/squares. Make a 4 patch using 2.5" squares. Frame two of the sides with 4.5" rectangles then sew 2-2.5" squares onto 2-2.5" by 4.5" rectangles. Press and sew onto the other two sides. There you go, an easy breezy block that finished at 8".

To finish the quilt, add sashing cut at 2.5" by 8.5" and 2.5" cornerstones. I made a quilt for one of my granddaughters based on this pattern, using blues of course!  I substituted a 4.5" square in the center instead of the 4 patch. Add an outside border if you want one.

Linking to Scrap Happy Saturday.

9 comments:

Ivani said...

Your Easy Breezy purple blocks are beautiful, I like how you are making then, using the colored fabric for the rectangles. The blue quilt is gorgeous with the flower fabric in the center. happy and safe weekend, Gretchen!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your purple is great looking - sometimes I wonder how many of us make the RSC quilts there is a lot of purple out there today in blog land.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a fun mix of PURPLE scraps in your blocks, Gretchen!!

Gretchen Weaver said...

It's handy to make these simple blocks ones a month, I'm really lowering the amount of strips in that box!

maggie fellow said...

that is a great adaption - I have too many 2 1/2 myself

Cathy said...

Way to go...that's how I finally emptied my 2.5 inch width scraps last year...I made lots of different blocks that used that strip size. So I know it's possible! Good luck to you!

Deb said...

Oh I am loving that easy breezy block, I may have to add that one!
Stay safe and sew on !

Sue said...

A great scrap quilt Gretchen. You have given me some more ideas!

Susie H said...

Beautiful Easy Breezy blocks. Love how you switched your colors with backgrounds and vice versa. I like doing the L&E projects with Bonnie Hunter but they usually last me a couple of years. Wonder what she'll come up with in July? Hope I don't like it better than the Easy Breezy blocks! Hahaha!