Saturday, June 26, 2021

Dancing Stars

Dancing Stars is the only RSC project I'm making that doesn't from the 2.5" boxes. The fabrics for these stars comes from the solids box.






I was pleasantly surprised by the number of different purple fabrics that were in the box. Most of them were leftover fat quarters from the Modern Amish (Sound Check) and Amish 4 patch quilts I made for two grandsons.

Purple stars have been my favorite blocks so far but I think I say that every month.

The free pattern for Dancing Stars is here. These blocks are foundation paper pieced. This is what the back of the blocks looks like after it's been trimmed. I always cut the seam allowance off my paper piecing pieces before piecing. This way I don't have the paper stuck in crossing seams, that is so annoying!

After the stars were pieced, I cut the leftover fabrics into 2.5" squares and pieced two more 16 patch blocks. I've ended up with eight 16 patch blocks for June.

Linking to Scrap Happy Saturday.

13 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

very Amish! I hadn't thought to do stars with the paper foundation - good idea

Marly said...

These stars are very stylish; I like them. I have to see if I can make this pattern without foundation paper. What are the measurements of the blocks when finished?

Julie in GA said...

Beautiful blocks! You are making great progress with this quilt.

Preeti said...

In general, paper-piecing is annoying but your dancing stars are very joyful!!! Well-worth the annoyance, I hope.

Maggie said...

Dear Gretchen,

Your purple stars looks amazing. It is going to make all your other stars pop when you put these beauties n3xt to them, Sparkling like a starry night!

Ivani said...

Dancing stars are awesome. I love to know how you made them. Thanks for the link to the free pattern.
16 patch blocks in purple are also beautiful. Great Job, Gretchen!

Deb A said...

Sew pretty in purples! I love seeing these stars grow each month.

Gretchen Weaver said...

The blocks are 6" finished so the block with the back on the back measures 6.5" unfinished.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Paper piecing doesn't bother me anymore, I whip right through the blocks. I love the accuracy!

maggie fellow said...

very lovely purples- all so different

Jenny said...

Beautiful dancing stars!

gayle said...

Your stars are sparkling brightly, as usual! The quilt is going to be stunning!

Katie Z. said...

I love your dancing starts blocks!