Thursday, September 24, 2020

Not a Jelly Roll

Saturday, September 19 was national jellyroll day and lots of quilters got together physically or online to sew jellyroll quilts together. I wasn't one of them. I spent my day working on feathered star block which is supposed to be the medallion center of my variation on Ancient Stars.


There are two black in the star so it's kind of challenging to see the detail. I've included a close up photo of a corner.

I'm another step closer to sewing this quilt together but it's going to take a back seat while I work on Stars Around the Garden.

Linking to Needle & Thread ThursdayPeacock Party, Put Your Foot  Down, Whoop Whoop PartyTGIFF!, Finished Or Not Friday, Brag About Your Beauties, UFO Busting

14 comments:

kathiquilts said...

striking! super color combo

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I always like the feathered star pattern but whenever I have made it I always have to check it 3 or 4 times it seems to make sure I have got everything placed right!

maggie fellow said...

your block is wonderful - such careful work

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

I can see both black stars. I LOVE this. Have wanted to make a medallion quilt for some time. Did you have a pattern for the center or EQ8 it, or something else? (Please tell me it's not paper pieced!). I still haven't made a feathered star but they've been a fav ever since I can remember! Beautiful job!

Robin said...

Lovely star. I have never made a feathered star. I've done everything else but not one of these. Maybe it's time. I like the two shades of black, it gives depth.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Beautiful Gretchen! Your colors are striking! Hugs.

Katie said...

I love this. Your piecing is so perfect!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Sorry, this is a foundation paper pieced star. What can I say? I love the accuracy of foundation paper piecing. Many quilters recommend Marsha McCloskey (sp?) books for piecing feathered stars. I've never tried any of her methods but other quilters are happy.

Paige said...

Gretchen, piecing perfection on your feather star! Thank you for linking to TGIFF this week!

chrisknits said...

Stunning! I love feathered stars. Maybe I need to make another?

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Feathered stars was a great choice!! it is so pretty!

PaintedThread said...

So many little points. Love the colors, too. Very pretty.

For the love of geese said...

The feathered star has been on my list for a long time, perhaps one day. Yours is very pretty. Thank you for sharing it on Put your foot down.

Lynette said...

Wow! You have a knack for putting fabrics together nicely. The two blacks work well together for a pretty form with dimension in it.