Tuesday, August 18, 2020

The Southwestern Quilt

Five or six years ago or maybe it's even 7 by now, our daughter and her husband moved to Tempe (a suburb of Phoenix) Arizona so he could attend ASU. The plan was that after he finished his schooling, they would probably move back to Indiana. And they did, for one year.

Our daughter said, "the sun doesn't shine in Indiana in the winter" which, unfortunately, is very true, unless it is a very cold and very snowy winter. So they moved to Phoenix.

The first time I visited them in Tempe, we went to the 3 Dudes Quilting Store (which I can't find online) and I purchased a fat quarter bundle. The fabrics had designs and colors from the southwest US, something you definitely don't find in the great lakes region. I told her I would make them a special quilt to commemorate their years in Arizona.
Even though they've moved back to Phoenix, I've made them their quilt. I loved the fabric designs and didn't want to cut them into teeny tiny pieces. I wanted to display the designs.

A couple years after the fabrics were purchased, while browsing through the vendors at a quilt show, I found one who sold iron on motifs. This lizard looks like the lizards I saw running around while we were hiking in the dessert. He has been top stitched to the background. I had to cut his background block a little larger than the other blocks so the sashing on his block is more narrow than the rest of the sashing.
I was able to cut each fat quarter into four pieces, 9" by 10".  I had bought extra fabric and some of that was cut into squares too.
The finished flimsy is 75" by 104" and is presently at a long arm quilter. 

14 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh this is a lovely flimsy--how perfect for your daughter and her husband;)) Great colors in this one--so warm and inviting...hugs, Julierose

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Gretchen! I have a good friend that lives in Tempe, and we also visited her one February. We tracked down 3 Dudes Quilting shop and picked up some fun items. They were talking about closing the store then, which they have. I'm not 100% sure but I think one of them got very sick. Anyway, small world!!! What a fabulous quilt that does scream dessert and Arizona. And the addition of the lizard was very inspired and perfect. They will LOVE this even though it's way too hot to think about needing a quilt, right now. I know those nights get 'chilly' in their version of winter. Thanks for linking up today. ~smile~ Roseanne

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a beautiful bundle of fabric, and perfect to make you think of Arizona! I love the addition of the lizard, too. Great finish!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that quilt should go well with Arizona - I love that state when we have visited - yes they have the sun for sure - I have a nephew who lives there and he loves it - not so much this year as they have been isolated at home since March it seems - just as things started to get better it got worse he has been working from home and doing home improvements at the same time - doubt he will ever move back to Maryland where he is from originally.

grammajudyb said...

Yes, regarding 3 Dudes Quilting, I loved that shop when we visited our son and DIL on Phoenix! Your quilt is a fabulous use of the very southwest fabrics! I always think, do they need a quilt in Phoenix? But each of my family there has one!

Created by Kathi said...

I love the rich colors of a southwestern quilt... I am sure your daughter and her husband will love this quilt when they get it and enjoy having some of mom's craftiness just a tug away when they are so far away to be near the sun! I hope they are safe there with Covid being so rampant in Arizona too! I can't wait to see how you chose to have this long armed :D Kathi

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

This is perfect for the occasion! And I love the little lizard!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Very pretty Gretchen!l. Love the turquoise corners

Angela said...

Fabulous quilt!

maggie fellow said...

that happened with my daughter as well only utah. Really lovely quilt. It's great you find the iron ons - they really add to it.

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

Great quilt....AND we went to the 3 Dudes shop in 2013 when we were visiting in the area. Very fun shop to visit! I just checked my blog about the visit at that time....I bought a specialty ruler that I need to use!

Preeti said...

Beautiful quilt. Love all the gorgeous fabrics. As quilters we want to cut up fabric and sew it back up - that is the definition of patchwork. But when the fabrics are so beautiful, it is tricky. You struck the perfect balance between retaining the fabrics and cutting them up. Your Daughter and SIL will love it.

Denise @fortheloveofgeese said...

Those are great fabrics and you find them in the midwest either. Thank you for sharing and linking up to Put your foot down. https://3dudesquiltingdesigns.com/

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

My husband's from the southwest so I'm drawn to this quilt. So lovely! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.