Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Calico Stars

I've started the 2nd quilt from the 1st 2020 issue of Block. I noticed on the cover of Block, it doesn't call itself a magazine, it says Idea Book.

This quilt is called Calico Stars and uses a layer cake. I'm using a Summer Breeze layer cake that is dated 2008, time to move it out!

My quilt is going to be twin sized so I used 28 10" squares.


The units are pieced and I've started putting them on the design wall.

I only have room for 2 complete blocks at a time.

Isn't this pretty?


Then I decided I had better check the directions and make sure I'm setting the units correctly.

Whoops, wrong, this is the correct set.

Now I'm adding the broken dishes units.


This is a correct block.

Part of the fun of making quilts blocks is moving the units around to see what other designs you can come up with.


This is an incorrect setting but I'm just playing. 

This way has the broken dishes set correctly but, no, doesn't excite me.


Let's set them differently. 
Better but still not great.


The pattern way. I think this does look like the best setting.

It's so much fun to make quilts that come together faster than my normal projects! 

Now, back to sewing!

Linking to To Do Tuesday, Clever ChameleonMidweek MakersWednesday Wait Loss, Put Your Foot DownNeedle & Thread Thursday

18 comments:

Chris said...

Makes me want to pull out a few layer cakes and play.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Gretchen! Oh, these colors and fabrics are SO pretty. I have these colors in my bathroom, and have enjoyed it for years. I also had a quilt on my bed in those colors but have switched it out. What a nice size these blocks are to really get the quilt top finished quickly. Hmm, idea book. I think that's a better description for the Block publication. Thanks for linking up this week. ~smile~ Roseanne

Julierose said...

What a pretty block--I love the soft blues and yellows--very vintage looking--so lovely...
~ ~ ~ waving in the sunshine Julierose;)))

Robin said...

What a pretty springtime block. You sound like you're having fun, that's important.

Unknown said...

I really enjoy MSQC Block magazines -- I'm a pre cut junkie and tend to make use of their "idea" book quite often. Love the fabric you are using for Calico Stars!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are such pretty colors! I love blue and yellow together. Looks like a fun project to work on!

Mary said...

These blocks are so pretty! I love the different arrangements and the color scheme. Take care, Mary.

Katie said...

What gorgeous fabric! I love how many blocks you can create with the same units - quilting is amazing.

You're so fast! I can't wait to see the finished quilt.

The Joyful Quilter said...

No matter how you set it, that quilt is going to be SEW sweet!!

maggie fellow said...

I forget to even look in my stack of layer cakes for inspiration - the blocks looks wonderful

Vicki in MN said...

How fun to see all the different layouts of this block!

Jayne said...

I love playing with different layouts and you came up with many great ones! Your fabrics are gorgeous by the way!

Anne-Marie said...

I love the block and all its variations.

QuiltGranma said...

Love the colors in your blocks, they work beautifully together.

Susan said...

Definitely pretty! Thanks for sharing all the different block ideas, but you're right, the pattern version looks the best.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

How much fun to just rearrange the block units and play! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

I agree the pattern set is the most dynamic setting this, but rearranging is fun and you never know what you might find. Pretty fabrics, this is going to be delicate and lovely. Thanks for linking up with the Chameleon's Colour & Inspiration party!

For the love of geese said...

This is stunning. I've been looking for a challenging quilt to make so I will jot this one down. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.