Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Blooms

I'm still in my machine quilting phase. Blooms has been waiting since 2022 to be quilted. Blooms was designed by Sherri and the pattern can be found here.


I'm a basic machine quilter and I'm using white thread for quilting on all of the quilts.

This quilt was quilted by stitching in the ditch, first along the sashing horizontally and vertically. The diagonal red corners are also stitched in the ditch along with the center square. I thought the center section was too large to not quilt so the center yellow hexies are stitched on the inside.


The backing fabric is a light gray and shows the stitching for the Baptist Fan design in the borders better than the front side.

I'm pleased that my quilting has improved enough that the curves actually look fairly smooth, no zags.

After washing, Blooms is 41" by 51" and will also be going to the Goshen cancer center.

And if you are wondering, I'm still sewing batting pieces together for use in these quilts.

Linking to Midweek Makers, Wednesday Wait Loss, Needle & Thread Thursday, Put Your Foot Down, Free Motion Mavericks, TGIFF!, Finished or Not Friday, Off the Wall FridayPatchwork & Quilts


19 comments:

Linda said...

What a lovely quilt. I forget how pretty a quilt is when it isn't scrappy - I need to make more quilts like that! I've been Franken-batting too and almost have all of it used up. Where do you buy your batting?

Ray and Jeanne said...

Pretty quilt! I like the Baptist Fan design in the border. Nice to be using batting scraps - I really don't like wasting them. ~Jeanne

Anne-Marie said...

It looks really nice. I get great satisfaction from making and using Frankenbatting.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's such a pretty quilt, Gretchen! I love red and white quilts - and the yellow centers of the flowers really pop. Your quilting looks great to me!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Super cute version of Bloom, Gretchen!!! Such cute red florals!!! Someone will be cheered by it!!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Blooms is gorgeous in reds, Gretchen . You are tempting me to pull out my hexies to work on . Your quilting is always so beautiful. Have a lovely day and Happy quilting. Hugs.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

This is a lovely quilt, and your free motion quilting lines are great. Good job!

Vicki in MN said...

Nice work. Always a good idea to use scrap batting up. I am trying but it is a slow process, LOL.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Gretchen, it really looks great. Quilting -in-the-ditch is quite the skill, and your fans look great 😊 Thanks for linking up.

T Holzer said...

Your beautiful quilt will be a welcome treasure to someone in a tough season of life. The red fabrics are gorgeous, Gretchen. Have a wonderful weekend!

grammajudyb said...

It is a lovely quilt and will be appreciated by whomever receives it. As a survivor I am well aware of how a gift like that can lift your spirits. It’s so cheery!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Lovely finish! Your Baptist fan quilting looks amazing. You are so generous to be gifting it to someone in need.

Sarah said...

Lovely quilt. I really like this pattern!

Kris said...

Your quilting is gorgeous!! I always find it so amazing when you all can quilt on your domestic machines!! And when you sew the batting together, what do you do?

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Whoo Hoo!!! Way to go!!!
Its lovely - and your quilting is perfect for it!!!

Jennifer Alex said...

wow

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Woot! A lovely finish. Your quilting is wonderful. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/07/15/wednesday-wait-loss-389

Karen S said...

I like the design of this quilt. Great choice of fabrics, too.

Nanette Chopin Cook said...

Pretty! Happy Birthday Gretchen. Hugs