Sunday, September 19, 2021

Hearts & Wreaths, Blocks 1 & 2

Two blocks for my Hearts & Wreaths quilt are finished, I've decided I'm going to stick with the soft yellow background fabric. The fabric is not as pale as the picture shows but it's hard to photograph.

Block 1 - 


And block 2 - 


The yellow fabric shows more true in this post where I show the bolt of fabric.

Most of the fabrics in these blocks were from my 30's box. I've prepped 4 blocks and cut enough leaves for the first 4 blocks. There will not be fabric repeated in each individual block but there will be throughout the quilt.

Not all of my blocks are going to have 30's fabrics, the theme for my quilt is to use bright fabrics.

The directions called for brown embroidery thread to be used for the vine/circle. I've done the embroidery for the first 4 blocks but I used black embroidery thread. Also, I chain stitched these 2 blocks, the other 2 I used the outline stitch just for a little variety.

When I showed the cover of the Quiltmania magazine to a nonquilting friend, she asked me if I have enough different fabrics to make this quilt, she was serious! I said I don't think that will be a problem.

The pattern for Hearts & Wreaths is found in Quiltmania magazine #138.

Just a side note - Here's a link to the Michiana Mennonite Relief Sale website.

Here's a link to the Quilt Auction. You will be able to view all the quilts in the auction so far. Be patient, it takes a little while for all the quilt photos to pull up, at least it does on my computer!

You will be able to bid online during the live auction this year. The sale is Saturday, September 25. This auction is where my Blue Stars Around the Garden is selling.

Linking to Patchwork & QuiltsKathy's Slow Sunday Stitching, Oh Scrap, Show & Tell Monday, Monday Making, Handmade Monday, Design Wall Monday, BOM's Away

31 comments:

Ivani said...

What a gorgeous quilt this one will be. Your applique is perfect, Gretchen!

Created by Kathi said...

I wish my applique looked a speck like yours and I would do more hand applique... it is such a portable craft too! Congrats on a stellar 2 blocks... I like the chain stitched circles but I am sure your other circles are great too in black :) I will try to wait patiently to see more of these blocks but I bet they each take a while! Enjoy keeping it shook up... glad you bought that mag :) kathi

Julie in GA said...

Your Hearts and Wreaths blocks are absolutely gorgeous! The soft yellow background is perfect with the bright colors. I can't believe you have finished two blocks already--it seems like you just started this project.

Deb A said...

Wow! You always pick such fun quilts to work on. The blocks are looking wonderful and what an amazing quilt they will make.

CathieJ said...

I love those two blocks. I can't wait to see all the fabrics that you use. Enjoy your stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the applique blocks are looking great - lots of different fabric to use!

Angela said...

So pretty! Love the bright fabrics!

scraphappy said...

What a fun pattern for showing off all of your beautiful fabrics. Great progress so far. Looking so pretty against the yellow background fabric.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful blocks and great choice of the yellow as your background fabric!

Chantal said...

Lovely blocks and gorgeous hand-work. Thanks for the links. ;^)

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love your blocks, bright and very pretty! Beautiful appliqué, and the fabrics and the thread show wonderfully on this pale background. Thanks for the links.
And thank you for sharing and linking up with P&Q today ;)

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful applique! Love seeing your beautiful work! Hope you have a great week!

Quilter Kathy said...

So beautiful! I enjoyed looking at all the lovely fabrics!

kathiquilts said...

beautiful job on your applique!

Maggie said...

Dear Gretchen,
Love all these bright and happy colours. Quiltmania is a favourite and their books always keep me busy for hours on end. Have a wonderful week.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Beautiful blocks! There are many of us who would not have a problem using hundreds of different fabrics in one project without going shopping...

Robin said...

These prints are always so cheerful. The blocks are great!

Florida Farm Girl said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. You do such wonderful applique.

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Awesome blocks...love all those scrappy colors. What size is
your block...it looks like it's 16 inch. Have a great day!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

lovely blocks Gretchen. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Gretchen Weaver said...

These blocks will finish at 16".

Sara said...

Those are such pretty blocks!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Oh my gosh Gretchen, what a beautiful job you are doing with those blocks. I have oogled over that pattern for awhile now. Meanwhile, I finally settled on a yellow for Panama Pyramid blocks I am making. It was hard to find the right shade. This Kona one is very nice. Happy Stitching!

Karen Marlene Fulbright said...

Once again, the indrawn breath.... the ohhhhhhhh I MUST have that pattern. I can't hand stitch for BEANS, but it inspires me and makes me want to try! Such beautiful work, thanks for sharing Gretchen!!!
Blessings,
Karen

ChezVies said...

What a beautiful work. Your applique is very neat! It's going to be a lovely quilt :)

Rose Marie said...

OMG ..... more gorgeous work!

Sum of their Stories said...

Absolutely stunning! I love the vibrant colours against that soft yellow, perfect.

Rose Prairie Quilts and Farm said...

So pretty That will be a gorgeous quilt when finished. Love it

Chookyblue...... said...

Your blocks look lovely....

QuiltGranma said...

"enough different fabric"? That is why I usually purchase in one yard cuts! I LOVE SCRAPPY! and those little white bunnies on the blue background are DARLING!

Jill said...

Love the bright colors and many different fabrics. Thank you for the links.