Tuesday, February 11, 2020

OMIGOSH! is a Flimsy!!!!

There is a lot sewing involved in OMIGOSH! I am SO glad I decided not to make a full sized quilt. Right now my little quilt measures 42" by 46-1/2" but I think I want to add borders. That means more sewing.




The above photo is enlarged to extra large. Here's the same photo in medium size which looks more true to life. 

Remember, the blocks finish at 4-1/2".

The yellow seems to overpower the fabrics in the 9 patches but in real life, they don't. Also, the 4 patches all look pink, half of them are orange.


I used white Bella for the background fabric. I wanted the colored fabrics to shine and glow and they do. I used a different fabric for the shooflies because I thought if I used the same fabrics as were in the double 9 patches, the pattern design would be lost. I hate it when I look at a quilt and can't see what the design is. That's fine if that's what you want to make, but it's not how I want my quilts.

Two important tips for making an OMIGOSH!, starch! I'm not a starch person normally. I do use starch for hand applique pieces but in this case, starch is your best friend. I used Niagra spray starch I buy at the grocery store. 

Also, cut your fabric strips the length of your fabric, not across the grain. Or, in other words, cut your fabric the same direction as the selvage.


I was asked several times if I pressed the seams open, NO WAY!, that means I would have had to pin every seam intersection! There's about a million seams in this thing. When I hold the flimsy, I can tell I'm holding something. I can't imagine how much a full size quilt would weigh.


I took a picture of the backside of 2 of the blocks. I do need to press the back again but you can see how it all easily locks together. If I would make another quilt, I would press the same way. You need to make sure you press your double 9 patch blocks differently than the shoofly blocks.

I confess, I used fat quarters for this project, not teeny little scraps and I do NOT feel one bit guilty! I save all scrap pieces less than 1-1/2" for a friend at retreat. She can make her OMIGOSH! from scraps.

I'm off to sew again, I'll be back when the borders are attached.

Linking to To Do Tuesday, Midweek Makers, Wednesday Wait LossNeedle & Thread Thursday, Put Your Foot Down.

22 comments:

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

It's stunning!!! I'm not a starch person either but in doing my Farmer's Wife quilt, I think I need to become one. I love tiny blocks and really want to do one of these so thanks for the tips. New follower visiting from the link-up. :o)

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Gretchen! Wow, those small blocks and all those small pieces. Good for you! The backs look almost as good as the front side. I cannot imagine making a larger size of this quilt pattern. Egads, I think I would never finish. I'm looking forward to seeing what borders you have chosen and to see them on. Good luck! Thank you for linking up this week. ~smile~ Roseanne

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love it - this is on my list - one day. It looks really good in the colors you chose

Jayne Honnold said...

Way to go! The quilt is a beauty. I can totally relate to feeling like this is enough. Sometimes I just want to be done with a quilt so that I can get on to starting another one!!

Preeti said...

Oh my gosh!!! It is beautiful and delicate like vintage lace!!! Some quilts are worthy of yardage and this one is definitely it.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

It is awesome! I am in the starch category when it comes to piecing. The back looks awesome pressing those seam open would seem insane. I guess there won't be hand quilting on this one!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Definitely going to be machine quilted. Since this is a small quilt, I'll quilt it myself with my sewing machine.

Karen said...

I wonder how many little squares are in this quilt. About a million is my guess.

Manuela said...

Wow, looks great.

Gretchen Weaver said...

So far, including the narrow white border on the outside edge, there are a total of 3694 pieces. I'm piecing the border, the # is going to go higher.

Created by Kathi said...

Omigosh is AMAZING Gretchen!!!! I can't believe you finished all those little blocks... Yes .. when working on little stuff starch is a good friend to avoid stretching as is cutting length of fabric instead of width. I am excited to see what you do with a border on this quilt.. And where it calls home in the future... I love it! Kathi

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow this is amazing! It is beautiful in the blue and yellow.

dq said...

Omigosh is a favorite of mine. I made a small one once and gave it away - smaller than yours even. I simply must make one for myself again. I need to keep drooling over yours to remind me!

QuiltGranma said...

instead of buying aerosol spray starch, consider liquid starch in the bottle, and dilute that for a spray bottle. OR buy a bottle of vodka, dilute 1 third to two thirds water to spray with … the vodka is made from potatoes adn is all starch!

Unknown said...

I know that green fabric wouldn't be something that you would usually buy, but it really makes it all pop! --Marlys

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'll have to try the vodka idea. Thanks!

Gretchen Weaver said...

It's not green, it's actually yellow! It just looks green in the pictures.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

So beautiful! And to think that those blocks are only 4-1/2"! You're certainly right to recommend starch and for pressing for locking seams. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Susan said...

Wow! Starch would be a must on such an awesome quilt

For the love of geese said...

This is fantastic. So cheerful and full of spring. All the seams do make a difference in the weight of a flimsy. What I love the most about a quilt with small patches is once its quilted and bound it has more movement. Its not stiff. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down. I was anxiously awaiting this finish.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

A true work of art, Gretchen!