Sunday, February 9, 2020

Another Row Quilted


I've finished quilting row 5 of Floral Triangles.


Another hexden flower. 

Someone suggested that I quilt along the seamline that divides the hexden pieces.

The problem is these flowers are very small so I'm actually stitching through fabric from the seam on the back of the flower. Another challenge is I didn't cut the background fabric out behind the flower so when I quilt these flowers, I'm actually stitching through 4 layers of fabric. My stitches are not very small but they work for me.


My favorite flower design, the circle flower.


I actually do like this hexden flower since I fussy cut it.

I guess that's the real problem, if I didn't fussy cut, the flower is rather blah.


Another fussy cut hexden.


Left side border.

My mind can be like a sieve. 

For some reason I was thinking there were 5 rows but I think that was how many rows there were on the original pattern. 

Anyway, row 5 was just finished. I rolled after taking the pictures, row 6 will be started this week, progress!


The embroidery on the Christmas block was finished this week. Floss is used quickly when using 3 strands.

I thought I had a lot of variegated thread but I used the last of what I had on this block! I have several skeins of dark red so that's what I used to finish this block. I don't think you can tell a difference.

I bought more variegated thread this week. Some of the blocks will be variegated, some will be completely dark red, need to reduce my embroidery thread stash!

Linking to Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching,  Oh Scrap, Bambi's Show & Tell MondayMonday MakingDesign Wall Monday, BOM's Away

19 comments:

Kim said...

More lovely quilting! I love the fussy cut little butterflies on the hexden flower. The Christmas block is lovely, too. My, you do the most exquisite stitching!

Sarah said...

Yes I bet trying to sew through four layers of fabric with tiny stitches would be hard work. It is beautiful though. Kim is right your stitching is exquisite and I love red work!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

The fussy cutting and wonderful quilting really make such a great difference in how our quilts turn out! This one surely is special and must be a joy for you to stitch

Created by Kathi said...

Wow Gretchen... what glorious eye candy here today!!! I love your quilting on your Triangle quilt... I started quilting again last night and while the sabbatical was good I am energized to spend my extra time making progress at the frame...
I love your dark red embroidery... I sew wanna do an embroidery project I have (thanks to you ) on the back burner... it may come up sooner than later!!! Enjoy :D
Kathi

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love variegated thread and that is what I buy more and more of over the years and the old sits idle. That quilt is just awesome I really love it.

Karrin Hurd said...

Gorgeous quilting and embroidery! I love variegated thread.

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

As always, your quilting inspires! And the red embroidery to darling. The variegated floss is very effective.

Jill said...

Very nice progress indeed! Your fussy cuts add a nice detail overall! It was worth your time.

Kathy S. said...

Another week, another beautiful row. This will be done in no time -- beautifully. Enjoy it while it takes the next few weeks.

CathieJ said...

Your embroidery is beautiful. It is impossible to tell that you switched flosses. I really like seeing your quilting as usual.

Cheryll said...

Your quilting choices are perfect. Love the look of this quilt & all of its flowers and colours.

Little Penpen said...

❤️❤️❤️

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely quilting and pretty fabric selections with Oh Scrap!

Glenda said...

You quilting up close is such a joy to see Gretchen, this is one of my favourite quilt deigns. It was on my bucket list to make but it's no longer available. May be its just as well as my UFO's don't seem to be getting less??? Just lovely seeing the wee applqiue up close. A lovely informative blog Gretchen many thanks. Cheers Glenda

Pamela Arbour said...

You are doing a fabulous job. You should be very proud of yourself.

Denise :) said...

Oh, your sweet heart is so pretty!! Your quilting is really coming along. Your stitches are so fine and perfect! I just realized how much 30s fabric you've used in your quilt! It's so fun! :)

Bonnie said...

Nice progress. I am in a stitching group that's meets in the clubhouse of a 55+ community. You can't imagine the amount of leftovers people bring in to see if we want them. My friend who does a lot of counted cross stitch has at least 3 if not 4 boxes of thread. We had a huge bag of yarn brought in today. Someone is going to take it to a group that knits and crochets for charity. I keep trying to use up my yarn ... not making great progress. Oh well.

Sue said...

Yipee!! Gorgeous work Gretchen.

Judy Hansen said...

Progress each week inspires me. You are moving along very nicely. I like the redwork too. Thanks for faithfully linking up with Design Wall Monday, I enjoy seeing your beautiful stitching. Judy