Tuesday, March 31, 2020

John Deere Progress

The next border for the John Deere quilt will be maple leaves. In my last post about this quilt, I had said I was going to be making lots of leaves because there was going to be a second border with leaves. Changed my mind, this border will be the only leaf border.



I liked the way the log cabin blocks look for the Moda Love project so that's what will come next. I'm planning on finishing out the flimsy with log cabin blocks made with 2" finished logs.


Back to the leaves, I made a small change to the maple leaf block. I only used 8 pieces of fabric. I used a rectangle instead of 2 squares.

Why sew more seams than I have to?




And a picture of the back.

For me, this was the best way to press.

Some of the leaves have wider stems but I switched my plan and made the rest more narrow.

These leaves finish at 6".

Linking to To Do Tuesday, Midweek Makers, Clever Chameleon, Wednesday Wait Loss, Put Your Foot DownNeedle & Thread Thursday

9 comments:

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Lovely leaves. Good luck on your to-do for the week--I look forward to seeing it!

Created by Kathi said...

I love your leaf variety and how you press them too! Thank for showing your back side :)
Kathi

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are a pretty collection of leaves, Gretchen! I like your idea for one less seam, too!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Gretchen! I like the stems being thinner - it seems more realistic although I never would have thought to do that. Great idea about the rectangle replacement. I often wonder why patterns aren't written that way to begin with. After the border of leaves you'll add a log cabin border? I'm looking forward to seeing this come together. Thanks so much for linking up this week. ~smile~ Roseanne

Susan said...

Didn't even notice the rectangle until you pointed it out. And what a great idea to cut down on sewing time.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Neat idea!l. This quilt will really pop and look like an Autumn quilt! Grandson will really be happy with it! Hug

For the love of geese said...

The blocks remind me of the trees surrounding my home in the fall. I often press seams to the side and others open in the same block. Sometimes that's the only way to get a flat block. Yours look great. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Love your leaves! It's going to be a gorgeous border

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Love those leaves! Great plan for your quilt! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.