Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Blessed by Nature

My birthday is in July and again, like last year, I went shopping/browsing at several local fabric stores to celebrate. This year I took Donna along.

We made several stops in our birthday celebration and made several purchases. You'll hear about those during this autumn but today I'm going to tell you about our stop at Lolly's.

At Lolly's we both thought the Blessed by Nature sample quilt on the wall was very pretty. We both purchased kits and made plans to get together this autumn to sew them.

Basically the blocks are sewn using the 'stack & whack' or 'one block wonder' method. I suppose those are copyrighted terms but that is the method for cutting the block triangles.

I cut my fabrics at home, I can concentrate better when I'm on my own. But I did sew two blocks ahead of time to make sure I had cut them correctly.

I do need to say that the instructions are not clearly written and are hard to follow. This is definitely not a project for a beginning quilter. 

We persevered in spite of the challenging directions and have finished flimsies. My flimsy measures 64.5" by 80.5" but we all know it will shrink when it's quilted.

My quilt has been delivered to a long arm quilter. It will be 8 weeks until it is quilted and ready for display. That means I should be able to show it to you just before Christmas.

I needed to go to Shipshewana Tuesday so I stopped at Lolly's and looked at the original quilt. What I thought I had cut incorrectly was exactly the same as the sample quilt. Obviously that sewest had the same problem I did. 

Lolly's no longer has any kits but they have quilted the sample. The quilt is for sale at $675 in case any of you are interested.

And yes, on the way home from my birthday shopping, we did stop at the Essenhaus bakery to buy a raspberry cream pie to celebrate my birthday. Birthdays only come once a year and I only have raspberry cream pie once a year. 😋


Linking to Midweek Makers, Wednesday Wait Loss, Needle & Thread Thursday, Put Your Foot Down, TGIFF!, Finished or Not Friday, Off the Wall
Friday, Beauty Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts


5 comments:

Connie said...

Beautiful! Love the settings for the blocks.

Preeti said...

Such an exquisite quilt top. The setting is just perfect. It gives some breathing room to the blocks, rather than one on top of the other. I am looking forward to the finished beauty around Christmas.

Linda said...

That is a beautiful fabric line, and difficult or not, I love that pattern! You did well with it. Looking forward to the finish. Raspberry cream pie sounds like a great birthday gift. :D I Googled it and found an "authentic" recipe on Food.com - looks delicious.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Enjoy the pie, it is delicious, much better than cake!

Jenny said...

Such a pretty quilt top.