Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Dresden Stars

 Dresden Stars came home from the long arm quilter several weeks ago. The binding is finished and she's ready for her debut!


Colleen Gall is the long arm quilter who custom quilted Dresden Stars for me. 

I have many close up pictures of the quilting to show you. I added a red binding, it adds a touch of color to the edge.





A cream on cream fabric was used for the backing fabric. Colleen used the same brown thread for quilting both sides of the quilt. The cream backing fabric displays the quilting designs very nicely. Of course I took pictures of the back side.






Years ago I purchased two kits for Dresden Star quilt at Lolly's Fabrics in Shipshewana. Completing these kits was one of my goals for this year and I've done it! The center of the quilt is Dresden Star, a pattern by Edyta Sitar.

The Dresden Star pattern does not make a large quilt, two pieced kits were larger but still not bed sized. I added pieced borders to enlarge it. The finished quilt measures 91" by 104", a queen sized quilt.

I have a tub full of civil war fabrics, some of which I purchased, some were gifted to me by my friend Deanna when she moved. I liked civil war fabrics back in the early 2000's, now, not so much. The kit from Lolly's had some really blah fabrics so I pulled from my stash.

I'm planning on taking Dresden Stars along to the retreat this fall to display at show & tell. I worked on these blocks at several of the retreats. Some of the ladies told me they also bought the kit, maybe this will encourage them to sew their kits.

As I said, civil war fabrics are not my favorite fabrics, Dresden Stars will be donated to the 2025 Michiana Mennonite Relief Sale next year.

Linking to Midweek Makers, Wednesday Wait Loss, Needle & Thread Thursday, Put Your Foot Down, TGIFF!, Finished or Not Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Beauty Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts

22 comments:

Sue said...

Nice! Beautiful quilting- this must be the quilt to work on right now- Jan G. is working on hers- I need to dig mine out and finish it. I, too bought two kits.

Podunk Pretties said...

Gorgeous! A dresden quilt always makes me smile. I've made them in every style but the dresden star. It's on my long list of must makes. I think it just jumped up a few spots on the list.

Rebecca Grace said...

What a masterpiece, Gretchen! Colleen did a great job with custom quilting that enhances your beautiful work without overpowering it. I love everything about this quilt. Congratulations!

T Holzer said...

Your quilt is a magnificent work of art, Gretchen! Simply gorgeous!!

Anne-Marie said...

Very pretty.

Jayne Honnold said...

What a gorgeous heirloom I just love all your details and explanations. Excellent!

Anonymous said...

That quilt is amazing!

Jenny said...

Such beautiful quilted feathers.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

What a lovely finish! The custom quilting on this is divine. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/08/27/wednesday-wait-loss-395

Lin said...

Such a lovely quilt and beautiful quilting. xx

Linda said...

Dresden Stars is spectacular! You did fabulous work on it. I would selfishly keep it (LOL!) but how nice you are donating it. I really love the red binding and the blue border and just all of it!

Denise said...

Beautiful finish Gretchen. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

Maggie said...

Dear Gretchen, Wow! This one is just beautiful, the quilting adds joy to an already gorgeous piece.

time4stitchn said...

It is even more beautiful with the added quilting. Such great feathers in the borders. Be still my heart. Your quilter really did a nice job adding designs that complimented the blocks and your extra borders. Yeah! it is done!

Karen S said...

What a stunning result. The idea of using two kits is such a smart move. I really like how you enlarged the quilt, too.
A lovely finish.

Preeti said...

Love that Dresden Star (Sun). The white spikes really brighten the dark fabrics. You did a fabulous job! We have to make a Dresden Quilt in November for Island Batik Ambassador Program and I am taking notes

Susan said...

Absolutely lovely! And the quilting sets it off so nicely!

K Reeves said...

So beautiful Gretchen!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Dresden stars is a beauty! Love the red binding and the quilting!!!

QuiltGranma said...

Remember, no quilt is completely done till it has a label. It helps if some of its story is included. Beautiful! I still prefer the 1800's reprints, no matter the color or print, to me they are gender neutral. That is so important in a large expanded family for gifts.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Another beauty, Gretchen! What a treat it will be for the ladies at the retreat to see this one up close! I wish I could...

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Oh wow, your quilt looks gorgeous! I also love the quilting, and the red binding. It's going to be the star at the retreat!
Thank you so much for sharing your so beautiful quilts.