Thursday, May 23, 2024

Radiant Blues Progress

The center section of Radiant Blues is completed! I just need to add the outside border. 

As you can see, I did NOT use the dark feathered star in the quilt. I was just too dark for my taste. Now I have a feathered star to use elsewhere, I'll think of something.

Here is a close up of the checkerboard in the corners. Last week I had showed you a light blue sashing, I changed my mind and went with a darker blue. It didn't take long to make the sashing and corners, strip piecing is my friend.


The fabric in between the dark sashing is a light gray fabric and is also used in the checkerboard square. You don't really see a contrast between it and the white background fabric in the stars but it is enough to make them standout against the white.

I really like how this wall quilt is looking! Of course I love all the blues! 

The pattern for Radiant Blue(s) is found in the January/February 2007 issue of Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting magazine and is designed by Marsha McCloskey. I didn't use Marsha's directions to piece the stars, I foundation paper pieced them using the 16" pattern found here at Threaded Quilting Studio. 

Linking to Midweek Makers, Wednesday Wait LossNeedle & Thread Thursday, Put Your Foot Down, TGIFF!, Finished or Not  Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Beauty Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts


22 comments:

Pam said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!

Connie Kauffman said...

Really love this one!!!

Vicki in MN said...

Oh you have a real winner with this quilt!

Maggie said...

Dear Gretchen,

This one will be a stunner, especially with your beautiful hand quilting. Love the blues. It came together so quickly, just the other day it was just blocks, the sashing compliment the feathered star’s perfectly.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Beautiful! You picked my favorite star for the middle, too! That one just glows--great choice! Looking amazing, Gretchen!!!

Linda said...

I love this quilt so much! The light gray in the sashing is so pretty. You have some of the prettiest blues, and they all look so good together!
So did Marsha's pattern have Y-seams?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is very pretty. The sashing really sets the whole quilt off nicely

T Holzer said...

Another stunning heirloom quilt! I appreciate and admire that all of your quilts are not easy quilts to make, but labour heavy, inspirational and gorgeous!

Sue said...

Beautiful job, Gretchen! Of course, everything you do is stunning!

Nancy said...

Delightful! I know you've been posting each block as you go along and I didn't notice the differences between blocks. Now I can see how each is different and they all look so beautiful together. Your piecing is very precise!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Oh wow, Gretchen! You went to town on this one! Beautiful job and love how you did the sashing!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Stunning! A beautiful blue & white quilt, such a special heirloom, I think.

Preeti said...

Absolutely exquisite!!! I like the subtle light gray fabric you used for sashing. Everything is perfect in this quilt.

Sara said...

This is just stunning!! Wowza!! Blue and white is one of the best color combinations and the subtle grey works perfectly too.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh WOW!!! This is a gorgeous quilt!! I love that sashing style you used - amazing!

Susan Stuklis said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, everything is luminous in your quilt top! I love the light grey and darker blue for the sashings, and the checkerboard also adds great interest! I also like the border with the little light squares. Thank you for sharing your beautiful blue quilt!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

The juxtaposition of consistency and variations on a theme is fantastic. I could study this quilt for a long time.

Kat Scribner said...

This one is a real show piece. Extroidenary excellent.

cityquilter grace said...

perfectly stunningly blue....very very nice indeed...drooling here

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Those feathered stars just sparkle! What a beautiful project! I too drooled. . .!!!!!

Chookyblue...... said...

It looks great...... Maybe the spare block could be the centre of a medallion quilt????