Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Totally Trendy Totes II

While attending the Sauder quilt show several years ago, I watched a demonstration on making the Totally Trendy Totes II (previously named Totally Trendy Totes 2.0) bag. The lady doing the sewing made it look easy so I purchased the pattern. I'm sure Sauder's offered a class for the bag but I live 1.5 hours away. 

That same summer I purchased fabrics for the bag. A year ago I cut out the pieces for the extra-large size then quilted the red fabric for the main body with my sewing machine. Then I read the next step and was completely lost.

I carefully put all the pieces and the body on a tray and laid it aside for another day. That day came the first week of November. My friend Lori came and stayed a couple of days for a mini sewing retreat. I chose the tote bag to work on because Lori has made several bags.

She encouraged me all along the way, I wouldn't have finished it without her. I am please to show you my finished Totally Trendy Tote II bag.

I am so glad to not have that project guilting me anymore. And did you notice, it's not BLUE! I really liked the red floral fabric the moment I saw it, it is perfect with the yellow gingham print.

The Totally Trendy Totes II pattern is available from byannie.com. I think the pattern could have benefited from more pictures and better labeling. There is also a pattern included for a project bag which doesn't have picture of the project, I need to see a picture of what I'm making. That's me though, I don't participate in mystery quilts either.

There are two small pockets on the outside of the bag but no pockets on the inside. I made two pockets with extra fabric and hand stitched them to the inside before I sewed the side seams.

Will I ever make another bag? I might, at least I know how to make this pattern now but I won't try a different pattern. I don't think bags are really my thing but I have a finish!

Linking to To Do Tuesday, Midweek Makers, Wednesday Wait Loss, Put Your Foot Down


19 comments:

Lea Anne Brummett said...

This is a lovely bag. Well done! The large floral and gingham are the perfect fabrics.

Connie Kauffman said...

That's a great bag!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely bag! I love the quilting, the 3 different fabrics, the bag straps, all of it. Haven't done tote bags to this degree of detail, but I might just made one for the spring/summer next year. I taught senior ladies (of which I am one) how to sew, make tote bags, etc last year and they LOVED it. Congratulations on your stellar finish - very professional! Deb E

Linda said...

Love the bag and those fabrics! I hear you on more photos. I don't participate in mystery quilts either, I have to see what I am making too. I like the added inside pockets. You did a fabulous job on this!

Anne-Marie said...

I'm glad you were able to get your bag completed. The red and yellow are perfect together.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the photos the better for a pattern I have to see how it is made not just read it.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

You did a great job on the bag - very pretty - but I will never make one. Yesterday I made binding for my pillow slips that the lovely washing machine loves to shred the ends of the pillow cases! I don't mind that so much... then I made 2 covers for cushings for my chairs in the Studio. That is it for me. I have never been one to make bags, and definitely quit making my own clothes when I was 30!!! So hats off to you for taking your time in making the beautiful bag! Hugs

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Yours should be called Totally Pro!!! Looks great, Gretchen!!! I love the yellow accents, too!!!

Raewyn said...

Your Tote looks great - well done on the finish. What a fun idea to have a friend come for a retreat :-) I've sewn a couple of byAnnie patterns and find the instructions very intense but very thorough. They're a good one in a class situation to help work through all the steps!

Susan said...

I love the fabric you have chosen! I'm sure the bag will give you great service over the coming years!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Oh that is a lovely tote! Well done! (I won't do mystery quilts either--same reason! I have to see it!)

Lin said...

Gorgeous floral fabric and it looks like a nice roomy bag. Glad you put the pockets inside - so useful. xx

Vicki in MN said...

Congrats on a lovely finish! It always feels just grand to finish a UFO.

Ray and Jeanne said...

I'm so glad you finished this cute tote! It's darling! ~Jeanne

Carolyn said...

Your tote is very nice! I like that it has a lot of structure to it. I'm wondering what you used for the lining to make it stand up so nicely?

Floor said...

It has become a beautiful bag, beautiful colors too.
You'll definitely enjoy that.
Greetings,
Floor

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

I totally understand the guilt of an unfinished project! So grateful that you had a friend who could help you finish. The bag is lovely, and with the two added pockets inside, so very functional too! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/11/29/wednesday-wait-loss-356

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your bag is gorgeous, Gretchen. I adore the lovely fabrics that you chose. Enjoy your weekend.

Chookyblue...... said...

know exactly how you feel I stall on stuff also........
the tote is lovely.....