Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Scrappy Log Cabin Charity Quilt

Last fall I posted about some scrappy log cabin blocks I had found while moving. There were 54 completed blocks and I needed 26 more blocks. I finished piecing the blocks last fall then sewed them into a flimsy in late winter.

I had originally planned for this flimsy to be donated as a comforter top but I liked this flimsy and decided I was going to quilt it myself. He's been hanging around my sewing space guilting ever since. 

I finally decided that last week was long enough and got him quilted. I do fine when stitching the little charity quilts I make, as long as I remember to use the walking foot but quilting a larger quilt is a very different story. 

I didn't get it pinned quite tight enough and there are some puckers. However after washing, the whole quilt is puckered so they don't show as much.

I used light gray thread for quilting the serpentine design. After quilting and washing, this quilt measures 62" by 77".

For backing I used this older fabric from the 90's. At that time, I loved this floral and bought enough to make a shower curtain for our tub & shower in the farmhouse. It made it too dark in the shower so it wasn't in use very long. I took the seams out and have saved it all these years to be used as a quilt backing. It worked nicely for this quilt.

I had planned to use the leftovers of bindings from other quilts to bind this quilt but when I went to the basket, I found this floral binding. I had made it years ago for another quilt then put it in a safe place until needed. I put it in a really safe place and couldn't find it when I needed it! Time to get it used!


Larger pieces of leftover batting were used. My supply of batting pieces is depleted for now but I have 3 quilt tops at Lori's in the process being long armed quilted. There will be more charity quilts in the future.

I used every kind of genre and color of cotton fabric in this quilt. I recently read on another blog where the quilter called quilts that use every color 'scrap vomit' quilts. I don't agree with her, scrappy quilts that incorporate every color can be pretty.

This quilt will probably end up at the chemo center of Goshen Hospital. 

10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I disagree also about the "scrap vomit" I don't think I would ever say that about a scrappy quilt

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

I disagree as well as I adore scrappy quilts with all their colors! You've made a pretty little quilt. Great one to keep! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/07/05/wednesday-wait-loss-335

dq said...

Your scrappy log cabin really looks amazing!

Jenny said...

Such a lovely log cabin! I wouldnt have thought to quilt using serpentine stich on this design, but it looks great, and stitches up fast too.

sue said...

This year I have embraced the scrappy quilt. It started with a quilt retreat and now I can't stop. The log cabin was one of my first quilts many, many years ago and I think it is time to do another! Thanks for your inspiration.

T Holzer said...

This is a great use of scrap fabric! Love it.

PaintedThread said...

It's a beautiful finish!

maggie fellow said...

beautiful and I like how you make it. scrappy quilts are just the best

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Beauty Gretchen! Hugs

Chookyblue...... said...

It's lovely......