Friday, December 23, 2022

9 Patch Beauty or Get Together

In December 2021, I made a list of quilts I wanted to piece in 2022. Number 15 on that list was called Get Together. Get Together is the cover quilt on the April 2020 issue of American Patchwork & Quilting. It was called Get Together because friends were supposed to exchange 9 patch blocks and sew along together. The name Get Together means nothing to me so I've renamed my quilt 9 Patch Beauty.

My year changed when we moved into a new to us house. In the process of boxing up all my sewing 'stuff', I found a bag full of 9 patch blocks with the magazine inside. I don't remember piecing those blocks but I did, sometime, I even have the fabrics for the sashing and outside border! 

The 9 patch blocks have been sewn into double 9 patch blocks. This is a good project to use random neutral fabrics left from other projects!

Besides changing the name of the quilt, I'm going to change the pattern. The first change is relocating the placement of the flying geese. My quilt is going to be larger than the pattern so my flying geese will be the outside sashing. 

Another change is to the sashing between the double 9 patch blocks. I had plenty of 9 patches left so I sewed 9 patches into the sashing and made a single Irish chain quilt.






This didn't turn out quite like I had envisioned. If you decide to make this change, make sure you don't have dark little squares against the dark blue sashing.

I don't know if this quilt will be finished into the flimsy stage in 2022 but I'm enjoying the process and it feels good be working on an UFQ (unfinished quilt) even if it hasn't turned out exactly like I thought it would.

Linking to Put Your Foot Down, TGIFF!, Peacock Party, Finished or Not  Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Beauty Pageant

15 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Hi Gretchen! I love this piece and the things you are doing to the pattern. I think the flying geese on the border might be better. I love the movement in your alterations...the Irish chain aspect gives it more movement. What fun to find blocks and be really inspired like this! Have a wonderful holiday Gretchen!

maggie fellow said...

Your improvements to the pattern design are wonderful. so pretty so far

Ray and Jeanne said...

What fun to find those 9 patch blocks all ready to go! I like your ideas/changes and look forward to the finished quilt. ~Jeanne

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Love your changes and the dark squares in the design. Fabulous.
Happy Holidays

T Holzer said...

Beautiful! I love everything about your quilt. Merry Christmas!

Nann said...

It's a wonderful design with a look-again optical illusion. I may look up that issue....I have a box of mixed-fabric 9ps....Merry Christmas!

Chantal said...

I'm a sucker for a 9-Patch quilt and the one in the magazine is lovely. I love your own take on the pattern too. I love the dark pieces of the 9-Patch next to the dark squares. It makes my eyes search for the 9-Patch block even more. It's a gorgeous quilt and I'm looking forward to seeing it with the geese. Have a lovely Christmas. ;^)

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Gretchen, I love your modifications to this pattern. I found the original to busy. What fun to discover so much of your work already done.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

I love what you've done with this pattern! The blue squares are genius, and I wouldn't even worry about the dark squares next to them. Can't wait to see the border. Very inspiring!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

That is looking wonderful! The dark alternate blocks make the whole thing less busy.

Marie Králová said...

I wish you a nice Christmas. Thanks for commenting on my blog. Marie

Deb said...

I do that too! I always seem to be adapting the design to fit what I have or what a want! It will certainly be great when finished. I do love a nine patch! Stay safe and sew on!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I really like the changes you made - its a whole different look
Enjoy!!!

Ellen T. said...

I like the way you handle nine patches; you can't go wrong with those little beauties.

Linda said...

I like your changes, and the fabrics/scraps are really pretty! It's already looking beautiful and I look forward to seeing your final. Thank you for sharing with To Do Tuesday!