Sunday, November 6, 2022

Hearts & Wreaths

The last 2 blocks for Hearts and Wreaths are finished! 

These pictures were taken in the basement on my display wall. This is the first time the color of the background yellow shows anything close to it's true color!

Now I need to find time to trim them to size and sew the 20 blocks together. These blocks are for the center of the quilt. I need to prep the 4 borders and embroider the vine, then I need to cut a million leaves and applique the borders! The border leaves are a larger size than the center leaves.

Update on Welsh Beauty questions from last Sunday since I can't respond to individual comments anymore.

I was asked how I dried Welsh Beauty after washing in cold water. I partially dried in the clothes dryer but not completely, it was still very damp. I laid it on our bed by 8 am, turned the ceiling fan on high and left it dry for most of the day. It was dry by bedtime.

The batting was a wool batting, I don't know if that was one of the reasons it shrank so much or not.

I don't normally enter quilts in quilt shows except for the Sauder Quilt Show in May. I'll think about it this winter.

Welsh Beauty and I are going to a quilt retreat this week, I'll try and get some better pictures of the quilt.

Linking to Patchwork & Applique Kathys Slow Stitching Sunday, Stitching Stuff, Oh Scrap, Handmade Monday, Design Wall Monday, Craftastic Monday, Monday Musings

17 comments:

CathieJ said...

Congrats on finishing the last two hearts and wreath blocks. I know you will enjoy working on those borders. Enjoy your retreat.

Kate said...

Your Hearts and Wreaths blocks are so pretty, it's going to be another gorgeous quilt.

Julie in GA said...

Congratulations on finishing the last two Hearts and Wreaths blocks! It has been so much fun to see these beautiful blocks as they are completed. It's sure to be a fantastic quilt!

Michele McLaughlin said...

So pretty! I love the yellow background too!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

This is such an amazing quilt. I've seen this pattern in antique 1930s quilts, and it's nice, but yours is a breath of fresh air. Good luck with the borders!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are such pretty blocks! Even though you have lots more to do, finishing these 20 is a great accomplishment. Enjoy the next steps!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Thrilling to me to see your Welsh Beauty completed. What a beautiful piece! And I also love to see these very pretty appliqued blocks. Always a treat for my eyes to visit here, Gretchen!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Well done on finishing the blocks, and you are close to finish the border too during the retreat ;))
Thank you for sharing these beauties, and linking up!

Sarah said...

I like the yellow background fabric and nice to get the last two blocks completed! Enjoy your retreat.

Karrin Hurd said...

I love the yellow background too. How nice to be able to go on a retreat, have fun!

Jenny said...

Those million leaves to applique in the borders will keep you busy for quite some time, I imagine.

Ivani said...

Those blocks are awesome. Congrats for finish them. Time to thing and work on the borders!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I love your Hearts and Wreath - I might work on it next year! Hugs

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Hooray on finishing all 20 blocks! You work on the most interesting and intricate projects. Your work is beautiful!

Sara said...

Gorgeous!!!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Congratulations on finishing your last two blocks! These are really beautiful. I look forward to seeing them put together! Thanks sew much for linking up with Monday Musings! I hope you have a great week!

Rebecca Grace said...

Those hearts and wreaths are just beautiful, Gretchen! Congratulations on finishing your blocks. You do choose the most beautiful projects and your workmanship is superb -- I'll look forward to seeing this beauty come together into a finished quilt for you!