Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Quilts From the Extras Box

Every so often, Cynthia from Quilting is More Fun Than Housework, makes quilts from her extras box. 

You know what the extras box is, it's where you put leftover blocks from a project, or where you put the blocks from that started quilt you didn't finish or the block you made to preview a quilt.

I emailed her last fall and told her that she has inspired me and I was going to challenge myself to do this in 2021 with my own extras box.

I wrote about this challenge and several others in my New Year's post.

My challenge was to make at least 1 quilt from that box. I did better than that, I've made 3 quilts from the box!

I had decided the easiest way to make these quilts was to use the row by row idea. My quilts need to be at least 60" by 80". Here they are! I'm not going to bore you by telling you what project the blocks are leftover from.

The top quilt is 63" by 81", the middle quilt is 64.5" by 85.5".


The red fabric that was used in two of the quilts is fabric from my mom's stash. The concept of fat quarters was just starting as mom was ending her quilting days. Mom shopped by the concept you buy plenty of yardage because it won't be there the next time. And she did always buy plenty, these quilts used the last of that particular piece. I had to use another strip to finish the 3rd quilt.

The bottom quilt is 63" by 80", this is the one I like the best. There are some really old blocks in these quilts and some not so old.

In the box there is at least 1 more quilt left to be made with the cream background, the white background blocks didn't even make it out of the box! 

My goal was to reduce the amount of extra blocks in that box, and I did but I had some 9 patch blocks that have been sitting in my sewing room for years that were left from another project. I bagged them together along with another red yardage piece from mom's stash, and stuck it in the extras box. A double 9 patch is a future project from that box.

The frigid temperatures a couple weeks ago didn't seem to bother the grandsons, they still had fun playing on the snow pile.

The temperature has risen and the most of the snow is gone. All that is left is small dirty piles.

Linking to Midweek Makers, Wednesday Wait LossNeedle & Thread Thursday, Put Your Foot  Down, Oh Scrap

28 comments:

Katie said...

These quilts are amazing - I love watching you use your stash!! I can't wait to see more of these :)

What a great place for your grandsons to play! Snow piles are magical. I hope your mud season is short!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Wow, Gretchen, great job!!! The beginning of March and you've already got 3 Extras quilt tops put together!!! Love that applique block. I must say, they look all coordinated and planned!

Ray and Jeanne said...

These are fantastic! Making quilts from the Extras Box always feels like making free, fast quilts to me - so much fun. ~Jeanne

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Nice quilt! good idea for all the leftover bits. Love seeing kids play in the snow - those big piles remind me of when I was a kid in Wisconsin playing with my brothers and sisters.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Those are fabulous, Gretchen!! Orphan Block quilts have SEW much character.

Sharon Kwilter said...

Wow, that's a lot of extra blocks. I don't think I have that many but I should dig through and see if I can do anything with them.

Ellen T. said...

I've been thinking of an 'extras' quilt too. I've got lots of them!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Some of these blocks are more than 30 years old, they've been accumulating for a long long time.

Created by Kathi said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your quilt tops made from the extra's box girl! You are amazing!!!
Thanks for sharing what we can do with leftovers too :) I also love that you gave credit to where the idea started.... that is so nice and you are so good to do that... I bet your grandsons are hoping for more snow while we are ready for Spring!!! :)
Kathi

maggie fellow said...

your new "old" quilts are very fun. I have collected my own but, can't imagine how to start

Pamela Arbour said...

You did a fabulous job! Thanks for the encouragement

Unknown said...

I love these Mom! They’re so fun! And, wow, I recognize some of those older blocks (like the brown grandmother’s fan); those have been tucked away for a while!

Rose Marie said...

Clever and ever so lovely! Each one is unique!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

What pretty extra quilts. You did a wonderful job. So much fun going on each and every one.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Such a great idea, and such nice quilts! Very inspiring!

Kat Scribner said...

Wow and Wow. They are wonderful extras quilts !

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

I'm collecting extras in Christmas fabrics (or at least in reds and greens). Whenever I do a test block, I'm trying to make it out of Christmas fabric. I have no idea what layout I'm going to do, but your row by row tops are very inspiring!

Chantal said...

Congratulations! Those are very nice quilts to be made with only leftover pieces. And to use your Mom's stash in the process is a double kudos. Excellent job, Gretchen! Love that you took your inspiration to inspire others. ;^)

chrisknits said...

What a great group of quilts you got from that box! I must say, I have very few orphans to even try to use, none of them are even close in colors or values, so I just keep making them table toppers. LOL

Ivani said...

That box has accumulated pretty blocks and you made beautiful quilts.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Fabulous job turning all those lonely blocks into three lovely quilts. Thanks for sharing these wonderful finishes with Oh Scrap!

QuiltGranma said...

Beautiful quilts made with leftovers, and so tasty too!

Deb said...

Grand idea! I am working on my block stash but have only gotten a bunch of extra batik pieces on the design wall . Wish me luck! Stay safe and sew on !

Jenny said...

Wonderful, three quilt tops made and more to come from your extras box!

Susan said...

What a great idea, to put them in rows. They both came out great!

Barbara said...

Three beautiful quilts were made from the scrap box. I am enthusiastic about the beautiful blocks and applications.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Great way to use up your blocks! You have favorite color palette and it makes it easier to combine blocks from different projects. You've got me thinking! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

For the love of geese said...

Congrats, one day I'll have enough blocks to make a quilt. All three of yours are beautiful, wow what a bonus. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down last week. Sorry about the delay.