Sunday, May 31, 2020

Still Hand Quilting

The second row of Grandma's Embroidered blocks is completed.










Recently I was asked how I store my quilting stencils so I'm showing you. They're hanging in the to be quilted closet.

I live in a old farm house which has large closets. Most of the closets are wallpapered. 


As you can see, I'm not one to spend time matching seams in a closet and in this closet I used whatever wallpaper was leftover from other wallpapering adventures.

I just pounded nails into a strip of wood and that was good enough. If you do this, make sure you use headless or small headed nails. 


I didn't take a picture of the larger stencils which hang on the wall behind the to be quilted flimsies. 

They are organized by size and whether they're for an individual block or a border.

The circle stencil would ordinarily hang with the large stencils but it's next to the door in case I need it while quilting Grandma's blocks. And I did need it, I missed a circle while marking.

Also stored in this closet is batting but I'm not going to show you that.

Linking to Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching, Patchwork & Quilts, Show & Tell Monday, Monday MakingDesign Wall Monday

15 comments:

Jill said...

Very nice stencils. Quick and easy access!

Kim said...

Oh, to live in an old farmhouse where there are large closets. =) You certainly have a lot of quilting stencils all ready for your next quilt. Grandma's Embroidered Blocks are looking beautiful. So love the quilting texture all those circles add to each block.

Created by Kathi said...

Thanks for sharing your stencil storage... I need wall space.. I have closets but they are full! lol
I love your circle quilting on this quilt... I know you are outlining in the ditch of each square for stability too as well as in the garden maze setting too... your stitches are just delicious to look at Gretchen... have a great Sunday my friend <3 Kathi

CathieJ said...

You have a lot of stencils. I like your storage solution. I have to reorganize my daughter's old closet and make it my crafting closet. I like how your quilting is coming along.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I wish I had big closets we had to put closets in our house when we bought it

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

I live in an old house, but I have dinky closets! Love the quilting with the concentric circles.

Kathy S. said...

Love these spiraling stitches radiating out of the pretty flowers! Great choice for quilting. I have tons of stencils. I have barely used them.

Deanna W said...

Great idea to hang those stencils...you do have a lot of them! I have a large flat box that mine go into..but I have to search through them all to find one when needed.

Karrin Hurd said...

Gorgeous quilting. I hang my stencils too, I only have enough for 1 nail though!

Marie-Francoise de Lille said...

Lovely embroideries of flowers.I love your quilting in circle
Good idea to hang your stencils.
Marie-Francoise from France

Jenny said...

Lovely quilting, your wonderful trademark! Thanks for the peek into your storage closets. As you say, no need to show the batting, it seems to take on a life of it's own and run riot everywhere, unless rolled and tightly bound, I've found.

Bonnie said...

I laughed when you said you store the stencils in the to be quilted closet. I have one of those too although along with flimsies, a few stencils, and stamping supplies, I keep finished quilts. I've kept a lot of quilts unquilted because tops take so much less space then finished quilts. Your circles are fabulous.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Great storage organization! Love your hand quilting, lovely flowers blocks.
Thank you for sharing at Patchwork & Quilts linky party!

Kat Scribner said...

I admire your gorgeous hand quilting.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What pretty quilting!