Sunday, April 21, 2019

The End is in Sight!

The Lord is Risen! Have a blessed Easter.


The section of the applique border on the Pastor's Attic quilt is quilted! 


Now I've rolled and the finishing quilting has started.

As I quilt, I baste the top edge and remove the pins.

I'm sure you've noticed over the months of quilting, that I have left the selvage  on the quilt edges. It's so nice to quilt and not have ravelry edges. I know I could zigzag them but leaving the selvages is easier for me.

Don't worry. Once the quilting is finished, I will machine stitch, with very tiny stitches, where the edge is supposed to be and then trim off the selvage. Then the binding will happen.


This is how far I've gotten with the finishing quilting.

From the right side.


Working toward the center.

Quilting has come to a screeching halt at the moment. I've developed a very sore crack in the back of my right thumb. Since I'm right handed I used my right thumb for quilting. 

So, no quilting until the crack is healed. I know, I need to get some super glue in the crack. That will patch it up good.

There won't be a post next Sunday, April 28th. I have a lot going on the first of the week and then leave for the Jane Stickle retreat in Shipshewana Wednesday afternoon. There just isn't going to be much time for hand quilting this week. Good news is my thumb should definitely be healed after a week of rest.

See you in May!

Linking to Peacock Party, Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching, Oh Scrap, Bambi's Show & Tell MondayMonday MakingDesign Wall MondayMoving It ForwardBOM's Away!



9 comments:

SandraC said...

So exciting to be so close to finishing! I'm glad you won't be able to stitch this week, though....like you say, a good opportunity to heal first.

Created by Kathi said...

I totally understand having to work on other things.. and how exciting right when you get a crack that keeps you from quilting you have other things coming up and a quilting retreat... can't wait for you to post in May and see what you did while at retreat... heal well and soon and look forward to future posts too :) Have a blessed Easter Sunday today! Kathi

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Understand about the crack fingers, mine don't usually get quite that bad but they do get sore. You are getting so close to the end and it looks great

Quilter Kathy said...

So beautiful! Sorry to hear you have a painful crack. Hopefully it will heal up while you are travelling... have a great trip!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Oh Gretchen, I can just feel you relaxing getting ready for the Retreat! Now you will not feel the need to get the last of the quilting done before Wednesday - and come back with a healed thumb! You have done a beautiful job on this quilt! Hugs and have a Blessed Easter!

Karrin Hurd said...

Have fun at the retreat, sound like fun! I finished my Dear Jane many years ago.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

So beautiful!I really hope your thumb will be healed next week.

Ramona said...

So close to being finished and you come to a screeching halt. Enjoy your retreat and I hope your thumb heals quickly. Your quilting is beautiful.

Bonnie said...

It must be wonderful to see the end in sight. Give your thumb (and the rest of you) a break and enjoy your retreat.