Sunday, July 15, 2018

Nearly Insane - Finished!

Nearly Insane is quilted! I started hand quilting March 23rd and finished June 21st. When I started, I mentioned I hoped to have the quilting completed sometime this summer and I did, the day of the summer solstice! I've been very busy and it just took me awhile to get the binding completed.

And as I promised you way back in March, a picture of the back of the quilt.


A close up of a corner quilting.

More pictures of the quilt.







I've been asked what I'm going to do with this quilt. I'm not going to do anything, this quilt is for me! When I am no longer able to have my own home, then I will gift it away but hopefully that won't happen for a long time.
For now the quilt resides on a bed upstairs where I can look at at it every day. I'm enjoying the pleasure of this accomplishment. I started piecing this quilt as a challenge to myself to see if I could do it and I did!

Here is some general information. I used a Hobbes 80/20 batt. It took 13 weeks and 519 yards of thread in the quilting. The quilting thread was white YLI.

My Insane measures 88" square and was pieced from a variety of blues and yellows.

There are 4687 pieces in the blocks, 196 yellow sashing in between the blocks, 112 blue cornerstones with 564 pieces in the zigzag border for a total of 5559 pieces in this quilt. Of course there is a narrow blue sash all around the quilt center and then the outside border too which is pieced but I'm not counting them.

The first block of Nearly Insane was pieced on January 11, 2016. After 2 years and 6 months, this is the final post about this quilt, unless I decide to enter her in a quilt show.

A link to all the posts I've written about piecing and hand quilting Nearly Insane

Special thanks to Edith for lending me her Nearly Insane book.

These are the last week by week photos of the individual blocks with the quilting if you wish view them. The blocks are 6" finished. (There are a lot of pictures!)

Week 11 of quilting, June 3 - 9. Another rainy week so more time for quilting. And, since the Star Dance applique is completed, I'm using that time for quilting.








This is not a block that Salinda designed, I did. The original block was very scrappy. I made the first block according to the book and sewed it into the row. It just looked out of place and I hated it.

I took it out and made my own design. I think my block fits in better with the other blocks than the original did.





This block has 233 pieces in it. How in the world do I quilt it? The HST row seams are pressed open. 

I decided the easiest way would be to just stitch down the center of the rows each way. 

The center blue strips are pressed to the side so they are stitched in the ditch. The blue center of the star is stitched in the ditch and I managed to stitch the corners of the star.


This block has the fan design.

Also that is a stripped fabric in between the dark strips, not pieced strips.



Row 6-1/2, yes, I completed 2 rows this rainy week.


Right side triangle and block 1.


Block 2. In the center I just quilted through the center of the block both ways but now I see I missed quilting the bottom row one direction.

I've quilted the missing stitches but I didn't bother to take a new picture.


Block 3. I remember piecing this block. It was to fussy cut the fabrics.


Close up of fussy cutting on block 3.


Blocks 4 and 5.









Block 6 and left side triangle which is the same as the right side triangle.

Row 7 and the inset top triangles. I'm getting close to the finish!

Quilting week 12, June 10-16. Finally, a week with lot of sunshine so we could work outside. The last of the soybeans were planted on Saturday the 16th. Harvesting is going to be late this year with crops planted this late.

I didn't get a whole row quilted but I did quilt 5 blocks. 


From the left side, blocks 1 & 2.


Blocks 3 & 4.


Block 5 by itself.

These blocks are from row 7, the last row of whole blocks in the quilt. You can see in the picture the half blocks on the top. I'm getting closer to the finish!

Week 13, another dreary, rainy week. There is such a things as too much rain. If I could, I would redirect the rain to places that are having drought. But rainy weeks do give me plenty of hand quilting time.  


First I finished row 7, blocks 6 & 7.

Then I started quilting the top triangles. I don't know why I didn't take 2 triangles in one picture but I didn't. 


Top left corner.

And the rest of the triangles.









Finally, top right corner which looks just like the other corners.


I rolled the triangles down then quilted the zigzag border and then finally the blue outer border. I used a white Sewline chalk marker. It was very hard to see with the white flowers. I had thought of using a different color but I was afraid it wouldn't brush out like the white does. I didn't want to try something different on this quilt. Some of my quilting is rather wonky but that's the way it is.


The next quilt to go in the hand quilting frame is The Pastor's Attic quilt but the marking hasn't happened. Marking quilts isn't fun but I will make it happen sometime this summer. 

Linking to Kathy's Slow Sunday StitchingOh Scrap, Show & Tell Monday With Bambi, Em's ScrapbagLove Laugh Quilt, BOM's Away, Design Wall Monday, Esther's Wednesday WOW!, Let's Bee SocialNeedle & Thread Thursday, Finished Or Not Friday, TGIFF!

48 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Have a relaxing slow stitching day today!

Created by Kathi said...

Oh Gretchen... this is just sooo lovely! I wish I were English because I could properly use the word "Gobsmacked" but I am just astounded at the beauty of this quilt.. I do hope you decide to enter it in a show... but if not ENJOY it however you wish... this is lovely... esp the block you designed in it!!! And you used my fave YLI thread for all your quilting too :) Have a wonderful weekend and next week adoring all your hard work... can't wait to see how you plan to stitch your Pastor's Attic quilt !!! Thanks for sharing this on your blog with all the stats! :) Kathi

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

beautiful quilt and after making two Dear Jane quilts I know how much work you put into this quilt. I love the colors you used and how you quilted it - enjoy it!!

Quilting Babcia said...

This quilt is simply fabulous Gretchen! I can't even begin to imagine piecing such a tiny block with 233 pieces! I do hope you'll enter your masterpiece in some quilt shows, I know I'd love to have the opportunity to see it in person, so inspiring. Have a wonderful week!

Karen said...

A wonderful finish! I have been following along on your "Insane" journey for quite a while and it is good to see it completed.
Do you quilt in a hoop or on a frame?

Jo said...

I am so impressed. Your quilt is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Congratulations on your finish, this quilt is a beauty! Pretty blocks, some are very tricky, and beautiful quilting too. Enjoy sitting under your quilt!

gayle said...

Huzzah! And I'm glad you're keeping it! It's gloriously beautiful!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

This is a quilt you should be extremely proud of. It is beautiful. I started some of those blocks and finished only about six so I am impressed you got theoughall of them. And hand quilted to boot.


Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Oh my goodness, Gretchen, a masterpiece! What a quilting feat!

Gretchen Weaver said...

I quilt in a Grace frame. I used to a sticks and stands frame but this takes up a lot less room.

Angie in SoCal said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I now dub thee the Queen of Patchwork!

Chookyblue...... said...

Wonderful to have this finished .. I have the book but never started........ Need more hours in the days .....

Chantal said...

Amazing job! All of it. The piecing, the quilting, the colors, I love it all. Congratulations on this Masterpiece quilt. ;^)

Cathy said...

Congrats on a stunning finish!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Wow! What an accomplishment!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A stunning quilt! I too love it, your colours, your piecing... it's all amazing! And after 2yrs & 6 mths, how wonderful to have a quilt like this heirloom!

Busy Lizzie's Pink Patch said...

Absolutely amazingly exquisite. I just love it. Well done.

momto1 said...

What an accomplishment, and so beautiful!!!

Julie in GA said...

Wow, your quilt is gorgeous! I love the colors you used. Congrats on an amazing finish. I have this book but never seriously considered making the quilt--you may have inspired me to reconsider.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Gretchen! WOWEE - what a beautiful finish you share with us today. And it really didn't take that long to hand quilt it, did it?! Three months I think is very quick, and you did a beautiful job. I love the fabrics and shades you chose for this quilt, and the close ups of each block show how great your piecing skills are. Thank you so much for sharing this with us today! Happy Monday! ~smile~ Roseanne

jann said...

Fantastic!! So beautiful and what an accomplishment.

Jayne said...

Insane is just the tip of the iceberg! I am gobsmacked and every block and every stitch in the quilting. There is no way I could ever part with a quilt that I put that much time, energy and brain cells in!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Outstanding! Congratulations.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I won't part with this quilt until I absolutely have to but then it will go to a family member who will treasure it.

Unknown said...

Holy cow! It's incredible! You finished! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

This is Marlys. :) I don't know why my name didn't post like usual

chrisknits said...

Gorgeous!!! You should keep it and be very proud of your accomplishment!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Blogger is having some issues and this looks like one of them. The quilt looks better in real life and I'm so excited that you will soon be here to see it!!!!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I just know I posted a comment last week.........It is so beautiful! What an accomplishment! I am in awe of your persistence and accomplishments - not to mention your hand quilting! You go girl! ON a roll for 2018!

Lisa J. said...

What an accomplishment. Waiting to see this quilt with it's hand quilting was well worth the weight. It's so beautiful and thank you so much for sharing the closeups.

Miaismine said...

Congratulations on such an important accomplishment! You have done an amazing job with such a complicated pattern. Plus the hand quilting! Absolutely stunning! Thank you for sharing your quilt and your journey!

Joyce said...

Truly, truly amazing! What an incredible accomplishment! I could gush on forever!!

dq said...

I know you are nearly insane to do this quilt. I know because I did Dear Jane. Those small blocks take forever but are so so so worth the effort. You certainly quilted it quickly. I have not hand quilted in many years.

It is absolutely stunning!

Maggie said...

Dear Gretchen

WOW! I have been following your blog for a while now, your work is beautiful. I love hand quilting and you quilted each block in a special way. Thank you for sharing your gift with all of us.

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

Congratulations Gretchen this amazing quilt is a masterpiece. I am in awe of your perfect piecing and talented quilting and I love your fabric choices.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on such a magnificent achievement. It is Stunning!! And like everyone else I'm in absolute awe. WOW!

Susie H said...

Woo! Hoo! *clap* *clap* *clap*

Bonnie said...

Wonderful job ... ditto Susie's claps and whoots! This quilt definitely should be entered into a show -- and I don't mean your local guild show. Take a look at what bigger regional shows are around you or across the country from you. People would love to see the quilt in person. (Any chance you might want to enter it in the Mid Atlantic Quilt Festival some day?)

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Gretchen, congratulations on your Nearly Insane quilt - it really is a fitting name. Thanks so much for linking up to TGIFF!

laughing gas quilts said...

That quilt is amazing! Congratulations!

Cherie's Quilting Journey said...

This is one of the nicest quilts I've seen recently.

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

That is amazing! I love your beautiful accurate work. And it's so nice that you hand quilted it yourself too. It's a real heirloom. Congratulations.

Betty C said...

Your quilt is awesome. I recently obtained the Nearly Insane book from a thrift shop in new condition. I guess the person looked at it and gave up! I'm not sure when I will start making any blocks. It is a bit overwhelming to look at the book!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Don't look at the quilt as a whole, look at it as individual blocks. When I pieced my quilt, I did a diagonal row at a time, including the half square blocks. You need to decide if you're going to piece half blocks or piece a whole block and cut it in half. I pieced half block. I also foundation paper pieced my blocks. I just copied the pattern out of the book, then decided the order the sections should be pieced. If you are not familiar with foundation paper piecing then it's not a good idea to start with this quilt.

After I had the blocks pieced for each row, I sewed the sashing in between the blocks and attached the row sashing. I had the pieced section hanging over the door into my sewing room so I could actually see it and cheer myself on. I pieced the rows in 2 sections then sewed them together.

Then I procrastinated for several months afraid of that zig zag border. When I finally pieced that border, I was so disgusted with myself for waiting.

When piecing a sampler quilt, some people jump around and pick out the easiest blocks first. I didn't do that, who wants to make all the hard blocks at the end and then you still need to sew the blocks together!

Good luck with your journey, I would love to see your quilt when you're finished.

Melva said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for linking up with the Throw-back Thursday party.
Blessings, MelvaLovesScraps(at)NolanQualityCustoms(dot)com

For the love of geese said...

Absolutely beautiful, you are rightfully proud of this quilt. I hope it brought a smile to your face re-sharing it. Thank you so much deciding to share it on Put your foot down.

loulee said...

I just clicked on the linky you provided on your new house blog. Oh My Goodness, what a stunning quilt. It's beautiful. No wonder you are keeping it and have it on display.