And as I promised you way back in March, a picture of the back of the quilt.
A close up of a corner quilting.
More pictures of the quilt.
I've been asked what I'm going to do with this quilt. I'm not going to do anything, this quilt is for me! When I am no longer able to have my own home, then I will gift it away but hopefully that won't happen for a long time.
For now the quilt resides on a bed upstairs where I can look at at it every day. I'm enjoying the pleasure of this accomplishment. I started piecing this quilt as a challenge to myself to see if I could do it and I did!
Here is some general information. I used a Hobbes 80/20 batt. It took 13 weeks and 519 yards of thread in the quilting. The quilting thread was white YLI.
My Insane measures 88" square and was pieced from a variety of blues and yellows.
There are 4687 pieces in the blocks, 196 yellow sashing in between the blocks, 112 blue cornerstones with 564 pieces in the zigzag border for a total of 5559 pieces in this quilt. Of course there is a narrow blue sash all around the quilt center and then the outside border too which is pieced but I'm not counting them.
The first block of Nearly Insane was pieced on January 11, 2016. After 2 years and 6 months, this is the final post about this quilt, unless I decide to enter her in a quilt show.
A link to all the posts I've written about piecing and hand quilting Nearly Insane.
Special thanks to Edith for lending me her Nearly Insane book.
Week 11 of quilting, June 3 - 9. Another rainy week so more time for quilting. And, since the Star Dance applique is completed, I'm using that time for quilting.
This is not a block that Salinda designed, I did. The original block was very scrappy. I made the first block according to the book and sewed it into the row. It just looked out of place and I hated it.
I took it out and made my own design. I think my block fits in better with the other blocks than the original did.
This block has 233 pieces in it. How in the world do I quilt it? The HST row seams are pressed open.
I decided the easiest way would be to just stitch down the center of the rows each way.
The center blue strips are pressed to the side so they are stitched in the ditch. The blue center of the star is stitched in the ditch and I managed to stitch the corners of the star.
This block has the fan design.
Also that is a stripped fabric in between the dark strips, not pieced strips.
Row 6-1/2, yes, I completed 2 rows this rainy week.
Right side triangle and block 1.
Block 2. In the center I just quilted through the center of the block both ways but now I see I missed quilting the bottom row one direction.
I've quilted the missing stitches but I didn't bother to take a new picture.
Block 3. I remember piecing this block. It was to fussy cut the fabrics.
Close up of fussy cutting on block 3.
Blocks 4 and 5.
Block 6 and left side triangle which is the same as the right side triangle.
Row 7 and the inset top triangles. I'm getting close to the finish!
Quilting week 12, June 10-16. Finally, a week with lot of sunshine so we could work outside. The last of the soybeans were planted on Saturday the 16th. Harvesting is going to be late this year with crops planted this late.
I didn't get a whole row quilted but I did quilt 5 blocks.
From the left side, blocks 1 & 2.
Blocks 3 & 4.
Block 5 by itself.
These blocks are from row 7, the last row of whole blocks in the quilt. You can see in the picture the half blocks on the top. I'm getting closer to the finish!
Week 13, another dreary, rainy week. There is such a things as too much rain. If I could, I would redirect the rain to places that are having drought. But rainy weeks do give me plenty of hand quilting time.
Then I started quilting the top triangles. I don't know why I didn't take 2 triangles in one picture but I didn't.
Top left corner.
And the rest of the triangles.
Finally, top right corner which looks just like the other corners.
I rolled the triangles down then quilted the zigzag border and then finally the blue outer border. I used a white Sewline chalk marker. It was very hard to see with the white flowers. I had thought of using a different color but I was afraid it wouldn't brush out like the white does. I didn't want to try something different on this quilt. Some of my quilting is rather wonky but that's the way it is.
The next quilt to go in the hand quilting frame is The Pastor's Attic quilt but the marking hasn't happened. Marking quilts isn't fun but I will make it happen sometime this summer.
Linking to Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching, Oh Scrap, Show & Tell Monday With Bambi, Em's Scrapbag, Love Laugh Quilt, BOM's Away, Design Wall Monday, Esther's Wednesday WOW!, Let's Bee Social, Needle & Thread Thursday, Finished Or Not Friday, TGIFF!