Sunday, March 18, 2018

Spring Fever is Finished!

I decided last week that I was going to concentrate on getting Spring Fever finished and I did!




I named this quilt Spring Fever but it was originally named Cabin Fever. Cabin Fever was one of the Five Fat Quarter Fun patterns from Amber and Amanda.

I washed her to remove the blue markings which all came out. Here are close up photos of the quilting.









For the back I used this fabric with cute little forget-me-nots. You can't see the quilting but I really liked the fabric.

Spring Fever details - She measures 56" x 71". I used a Hobbes 80/20 batting and hand quilted her using a variegated King Tut quilting thread. I will never again use King Tut for hand quilting, What a mess! I've never had such problems with knotting from any other quilting thread I've used. Karen from Quilts...etc. commented that she never has any problem with King Tut thread. I don't know what I'm doing differently than she does but I hated it! The next quilt I hand quilt will be quilted with YLI thread.


I did get two corners of border for the Pastor's Attic quilt appliqued. 


This pattern is block #56 from the 1857 Quilt which was a BOM from Sentimental Stitches several years ago.

I have made a start on the next 2 corners. Hopefully they'll be done by next Sunday.

I did find the perfect fabric for the borders of Nearly Insane at Yoder Dept. store in Shipshewana. However it is directional fabric so I'm going to take my time prepping it.

Linking to Kathy's Slow Sunday StitchingQuilting is More Fun than Housework, Show & Tell Monday With Bambi, Em's ScrapbagLove Laugh Quilt, BOM's Away, Fiber TuesdayEsther's Wednesday WOW!

23 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Wow! Your quilt (and quilting) are beautiful! What a great quilt to welcome Spring!

Chookyblue...... said...

it looks great.....well done..........

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Congratulations on a beautiful finish and I like your corner block choice for Pastor's Attic.

CathieJ said...

That quilt is so very pretty. The Pastor's Attic corners are looking good.

Marie said...

Love your Spring Fever - very appropriately named!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sorry to hear you had trouble with that thread - I don't understand why it would be causing such problems I have used it for years. Occasionally i will get a knot or two or a fray but not often. I use a length about 18 inches to work with and do not use any conditioner

Karen said...

Soft and pretty colors in "Spring Fever".

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great finish. The colors are so fresh. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Pattie said...

Thank you so much for your blog. I enjoy seeing another hand quilter at work. I too have trouble with the King Tut thread knotting, twisting, and fraying even with Thread Heaven conditioner. I think it's because I twist my needle when I stitch and it twists the thread too much. I use YLI also and never have problems with that brand.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Beautiful job, Gretchen!!

Anonymous said...

What fantastic quilting! The Pastors Attic is an interesting pattern,I've not seen it beofer

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has problems with King Tut thread. Yes, even with Thread Heaven it still frustrated me. That spool of King Tut now resides in the trash where it belongs.

Jayne Honnold said...

I LOVE YOUR SPRING FEVER!!! What a gorgeous creation! I may have to make one similar to it - it's irresistible!

Lynette said...

Oh, wow!!! It's so gorgeous!!! I knew it would be, but seeing it finished and washed in all its glory is a superb treat. :)

Jill said...

Lovely hand quilting. I like the quilting patterns that you choose. Perhaps the thread issue was because it was variegated.lp;o I love the quilt stores in Shipshewanna. It is probably a good thing that it is 3-1/2 hours away from where I live.

Jo said...

I'm glad you persevered with the quilting. It looks beautiful

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

Lovely. So fresh and your quilting really complements it.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Your quilt is so pretty,and your block is perfect!

Quilting Gail said...

Spring Fever looks great! Sew pretty! Happy Quilting! :-)

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

OH so pretty and light and airy! Love those corner's for PA! Your applique is so nice - well done!

em's scrapbag said...

Your spring quilt is so fresh. Good job on a lovely finish.

evaj said...

Thank you very much for the inspiration you give us on Show and Tell Monday !! Bambi hug

Christina said...

Your quilt is beautiful! The colors make the pattern pop. Congrats on the finish!