Sunday, May 3, 2020

In the Quilting Frame . . .

Grandma's embroidered blocks wall quilt is in the hand quilting frame.  Here is a picture, taken last January, of the 68" square flimsy.




The blue outside border has been marked with my favorite cable design. The embroidered blocks have been marked with a circle design.

The border has been marked with a white Sewline pencil.  The embroidered blocks have been marked with Berol Verithin Eagle Colored pencil #753 silver. My mother gave me a box of these pencils 30+ years ago and I'm still using them. Some of the pencils are only 2" now but I'll still use them as long as they fit them in the pencil sharpener.

For the outside border and the pieced sashing, the quilting thread is a light blue variegated #12 Sulky. For the embroidered blocks, I'll use regular YLI natural colored quilting thread. These blocks are old and even though they look white, they an old white.




The batting is Hobbes 80/20 batting and the back is muslin. I always forget how nice quilting goes with a muslin back.

The cotton/poly batting will make enough puff to show the quilting but not a lot of puffiness. I'm going for subtleness in this quilt which is how quilts were back in the 40's.

I always baste the edge of  the quilt to the backing, just makes binding go better.



This is how far the quilting has progressed when I took this picture Saturday morning. 

More quilting happened Saturday evening.

You can see the fabric cover in the picture. 

When I'm not quilting, I cover the quilt. My quilting frame is in a room with south and west windows. I LOVE sunshine but don't want it shining directly on the quilt so I use a cover. It also helps protect from little grandchildren fingers.

Other posts talking about these blocks are here and here.

Friday I celebrated May Day by visiting our neighbor's greenhouse/produce stand business. I bought geraniums to be potted and a flat of marigolds and impatience each, a few salvia also.

The impatience will have to wait to be planted, they don't like cold weather. Nights in the 30's are forecast for this week. I'll probably hold off on the marigolds and salvia too.


The geraniums have been potted but they're easy to carry into the garage for nights. I love the spring green of the grass but the geraniums add a pop of color. I like seeing them in the flowerbeds when I look out the door of the east barn.


These flowers perk up the grape hyacinths.

Linking to Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching,  Oh Scrap, Bambi's Show & Tell MondayMonday MakingDesign Wall MondayBOM's Away


23 comments:

Katie said...

This is gorgeous. I love your works in progress pictures!

Thanks for the pictures of the flowers - I love them. We need to get to our local nursery and pick out a few things, for sure. Maybe I'll send my husband there today with a blank check ;)

Created by Kathi said...

Oh Gretchen... your quilt in the frame is singing to me!!! I love that cable design you chose and I love that quilt!!!! I use wideback fabrics mainly for backings... I don't think I have ever used muslin except when machining a quilt for a wall or something... must remember to try that!!! Widebacks are thick! Muslin would be nice :D Enjoy and happy stitching !!! Kathi

Birthe Marie said...

Your quilt is fantastic, both embroidery and quilting. Imagine being so good at hand quilting. I have so far tried on a small cloth, but do not realize that it is possible to hand-quilt a large blanket. So beautiful flowers too! Yes, spring is wonderful. I also love the beautiful bright green colour the leaves have now. :-)

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love the sashing you used on this quilt it really frames your grandmother's blocks well! I agree about muslin backing it's my go to backing now a days!

Yvonne said...

What a fantastic quilt! Your quilting is amazing and sets off the quilt perfectly.

Sarah said...

Lovely quilting! I love this time of year but I miss my trips to the garden centre, not sure when they will be open again?

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's such a lovely way to finish up your grandmother's embroidered blocks! I had never thought to use muslin for quilt backings, but I happen to have some, so I'll definitely try it.

Karrin Hurd said...

Lovely flowers and beautiful quilting! I always enjoy seeing your work!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Beautiful blocks, lovely set, gorgeous quilting! Your grandmother would be proud.

Robin said...

I think I got into quilting because I love how the quilting enhances a solid color. The blue border with the cable is lovely. And, there's nothing that can beat a geranium for it dependable burst of color and hardiness. I love them.

maggie fellow said...

beautiful - I am anxious to buy flowers and start growing veggies

Jenny said...

What a lovely phrase, "Grandma's embroidered blocks". What a wonderful heirloom quilt this will be, your grandma's blocks enchants with your wonderful hand quilting.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

How special to have both you and your grandmother's stitches all in one quilt. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

CathieJ said...

I love the quilting that you have planned for you quilt. It is very pretty. Your flowers are very pretty.

Turid said...

What a great quilt. Fantastic quilting.

Judy Hansen said...

Love your new/old quilt now on the frame. The cable in the border is perfect, and the thread color shows off your hand quilting which is the icing n the cake. Judy

dq said...

I too an anxious to get my hands in the dirt with some flowers, a small garden, and planting grass seed. Some grass is already popping up more seed going in today. I just have bare spots in the lawn I am mending.

Hand quilting! Hooray! I love knowing that people still do that. I worry it will become a lost form. I think it is soothing to do, but I make too many quilts to keep up without machine quilting.

Lynette said...

Oh!! That's what my little flowers are that came up a few days ago - Grape Hyacinths. Thanks for that tidbit of knowledge. :) I really wanted to comment, though, on how very much I love this new quilt you've got going on your frame. What a special set of blocks. They're really pretty in the 9" size, so that worked out perfectly to downsize for a wall quilt!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Your quilt and quilting are lovely.

Sue said...

Your quilting will be a labour of love. Love all your plants. We can't go to the plant shop to buy seedlings yet!

Quilter Kathy said...

So so exciting to have a new quilt in the frame! Thanks for sharing all the details... I enjoyed hearing about your marking process and the pencils from your Mom you have been using for 30 years! ENJOY!
Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Very pretty quilt and a wonderful heirloom to be passed down through the family! Love the flowers and as usual your quilting is absolutely perfect!

Lappedamen said...

What a beautiful quilt and embroidery. Thank you for sharing the process of the quilt.