Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Shoo Flys & Snowballs

I don't normally sew Bonnie Hunter mystery quilts or sew along with her leader & ender project. I was curious though to see what she had planned for this year. This year's Bonnie Hunter's Leader and Ender project for the next year involves piecing shoo fly blocks. 


I've been wanting to start a shoo fly project ever since Jayne posted about her project back in December 2017. 

My shoo fly blocks are going to finish at 4 1/2". I pieced 5 blocks so far, just wanted to see how they look.



And I made a couple snowball blocks, just to see what they look like with the shoo fly blocks.

For now I'm going to concentrate on sewing HST's before I piece anymore blocks.

A year from now Bonnie is going to have a bright bold colorful scrappy quilt. My quilt won't look like hers. My quilt will have the quiet gentle dignified beauty that comes with a two color quilt. The important thing is that we'll both be happy with our own quilt.

After I took this picture, I remember another 2 block quilt from Kathy's Quilts that I bookmarked. I see that this quilt involves churn dash blocks and 9 patches, not shoo fly blocks. 


But still I wonder, what would shoo fly blocks look with 9 patch blocks? So of course I made some 9 patches to see.

First 9 patches with dark corners.

Interesting but I don't like the big light center blocks next to each other but I do like the corners. Can you envision a dark chain running through the quilt? 


Next the 9 patches with light corners.

I like that the center light blocks aren't next to each other but I'm not sure about all the light fabric in the corners. 

Both these settings have potential but I think I'll stick with the original alternate snowball block.


I even purchased a special stencil that fits perfectly in the snowball block, because, as you know, hand quilting is what I do.

Since I took the picture, I did peel the lower left sticker off since it was covering up part of the marking line.

If sewing shoo fly blocks isn't your thing, Kevin the Quilter is hosting a Simply Sensational Summer Scrap Quilt mystery this summer.

Meadow Mist also has Mosaic Mystery in progress. Her mystery runs through April 2020.

In the mood to piece a Christmas quilt? Check out Sarah and her Christmas in July sew along.

And then there's the Disappearing 9 Patch Quilt Along that Julie is hosting. It's happened in June - July, so they're at the end of the quilt along but the pattern is still available. Here's a link to week 5 where the participants are displaying their quilts.

Linking to Let's Bee Social WIP's on WednesdayNeedle & Thread Thursday, Peacock Party, TGIFF!, Brag About Your Beauties, Finished Or Not Friday

12 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I don't think I have ever done a Leader Ender quilt! I don't sit at the machine enough to get one and started and done! Good Luck to you!!

Preeti said...

Quiet, Gentle and Dignified is a perfect way to be. I am usually the load and colorful one but I can definitely appreciate the simplicity and beauty of two-color quilts. Wish you good luck in maintaining perfect points of those pesky little triangles :-)

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I like the snowball alternating block also Gretchen - fun project and one you can easily put down and come back to! Hugs

Maggie said...

What a neat idea. I looked at her leaders and enders, they were the perfect answer to Sue Garman's patterns I have in the sewing room. Love those shoo fly blocks. You are so organised, with the stencil all ready to quilt it, cannot wait to see your finished quilt.

Gretchen Weaver said...

It will be awhile before this quilt top is pieced. I've done some preliminary figuring as to how many shoo fly and snowball blocks I need. I think piecing these blocks look like a good retreat project in November.

Lisa in Port Hope said...

I dug out some scraps and made shoo fly blocks this morning. I love the mystery quilts but I don't always do the leader-ender challenge. I'm tempted by the Meadow Mist mystery because it will use some larger pieces of fabric up.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm sure by the time this quilt is finished, all my triangles won't have perfect points but I'm not a perfectionist. Finished is better than perfect! Happy Stitching!

Created by Kathi said...

Hey Gretchen... such an informative post you have shared :) Lots to ponder as I am sewing from this post but I think I like the show fly and snowballs the best as well.. esp staying with 2 colors only :) I love the stencil you have planned for the snow balls to :) How big will this quilt be... a wall hanging or snuggle quilt... will the stencil be big stitched in dark blue Sulky threads ?? I decided to follow Kevin the quilter and see how his mystery quilt turns out... I simply have too much to play along but I can live vicariously through those that are playing along! lol Have a great end to your week. I am chugging along on hand quilting and pillow sham making here :) Did you get rain?? We sure have!!!
Kathi

Unknown said...

I also like the shoo fly blocks mixed with the snowball blocks! --Marlys

Lisa J. said...

I have never done a leader ender project but I do love your combined shoo fly and snowballs and I like the blues in your fabrics as well.

chrisknits said...

I like the 3rd option, the unusual space the light corners creates is interesting. I have been considering using that for my leaders and enders, but I am in the middle of a scrappy charity quilt top using LEs, so it would have to wait until I get those done.

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

There are many good QALs to join in, aren't there? I look forward to how this leader and ender project turns out!