Sunday, August 9, 2026

Tree of Life & TGIFF Heads Up!

Today I'm going to share the next applique project which is just in the process of prep work.

While at the Jane Stickle retreat back in November 2022, I purchased a Tree of Life Applique kit off of the resale table. I remember my mother appliqueing a Tree of Life kit back in the late 60's, early 70's. The ladies at church quilted it during the monthly 'sewing' then it was donated and sold through the Michiana Mennonite Relief sale. I had to buy this kit when I saw it and now I'm finally ready to start prepping.

This is an old kit, the background fabric is 50% cotton/50% polyester and the applique fabrics are too.  There is some embroidery but not a lot. 

When I opened the package and removed the fabrics, I found this yellow calico had been placed next to a red fabric. The red fabric had bled onto the yellow. A friend said the kit must have been stored in a damp place. The kit fabrics are thin, I can easily see my hand on the backside. I want to use quality fabrics if I'm going to invest hundreds of hours appliqueing this quilt then hand quilting it.

Here is a link to this quilt that has been machine quilted by Judi Madsen. Isn't it beautiful? Obviously the fabrics in that kit didn't bleed.

I purchased new 100% cotton fabrics during my birthday shopping/browsing spree in July 2024.


The new fabrics aren't a perfect match for the previous fabrics but they'll be just fine.

Now I've the process of tracing the designs onto freezer paper, then marking the background fabric because yes, I purchased new 100% cotton background fabric. Because I have new background fabric, my quilt will be larger than the kit. The marking process is going to take a lot of time. My goal is to be able to start the applique on January 1, 2027. 

Tree of Life is definitely going to be a long term project but it will be a stay at home applique project, it's too big to take anywhere!

I'm going to try something new, I'm going to be hosting the TGIFF Linky Party starting at 6PM EST, Thursday August 13. We'll see if it actually happens and I get all the connections correct.


Okay, I've got a problem already, I don't know how to get rid of that box under the TGIFF sign! We'll see what happens!

Linking to Patchwork & QuiltsKathys Slow Stitching Sunday, Stitching Stuff, Sew & Tell, Design Wall Monday, Monday Musings, To Do Tuesday


No comments: