Sunday, January 29, 2023

Lady Jane Quilting Progress

Hand quilting Lady Jane has been so much fun! I'm so pleased to be able to roll every week!

This week I quilted the checkerboard section at the bottom of the quilt and used a Baptist fan design. Here is a close up view of a section.

And a view across the length of this quilted section.

You can see the next section to be quilted, the churn dash blocks and the alternate plain squares.

The plain squares are various gray fabrics and are all marked with the same design.


The color is off in these two pictures, the fabrics are NOT yellow! The colors in the first two pictures are what the quilt really looks like.

Stitching in the ditch is the plan for the churn dash blocks.


Last week I had a very long detailed, and possibly boring, post about loading a quilt into my Grace hand quilting frame. Here is link to that post.

I'm unable to respond to individual comments in the comments sections so I'm answering a question that was asked in the post about the quilting frame. 

The question was if I have trouble quilting different directions in a frame since with a hoop you can turn the hoop and quilt in all directions.

I grew up quilting in a frame, that is how I learned to quilt. I can quilt straight down towards myself and I also easily quilt to the left either straight or diagonally since I'm right handed. I can quilt straight up but I don't like to do that. I really don't have any problems but as I said, this is what I'm used to. 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty quilt! I admire your hand quilting skills! I have done a little bit of hand quilting but always on a small project. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Kathi Clower said...

Lady Jane is looking awesome! I love a nice Baptist fan… how far apart are your lines???
I also love your quilting plan for your center too!!!
Have a fabulous Sunday dear friend!
Kathi

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the quilting is looking great.

Anonymous said...

Going to be so pretty! Glad the quilting is going fast! Hugs

Ivani said...

Looks great so far, Gretchen. Your plan for the blocks seems to be perfect. It will be nice following up your progress on this one. Have a nice week.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your Lady Jane quilting looks fabulous. I hand quilted once. . .in a hoop. . .while I did "adapt" to quilting in different directions somewhat, I wouldn't report it was learned skill by the time I finished! Also, once was enough! I always enjoy your posts and photos. You have amazing skills!

Karrin Hurd said...

Looks like you are making great progress on Lady Jane and have a great plan. Happy stitching!

Birthe Marie said...

Lovely quilting on the Lady Jane quilt! ...and you quilt so very fast.

Kim said...

How fabulous that you have been quilting on a frame all your life. That is a lovely pattern you are quilting on the grey fabrics. Lady Jane is a vision!

Quilting Moesje said...

Mooi! Veel plezier en succes met de steekjes van de verdere quilt,
Groetjes,
Simone

Susan said...

I really like the design you chose for the blank blocks. I learned on a frame, too, and always find it easier than a hoop. It's just practice. =) You're doing well on time.

Kate said...

The Baptist fan looks great. Happy stitching this week.

CathieJ said...

Lady Jane looks wonderful! I like the stencil you are using for the gray fabrics.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

This is a fantastic quilt, Gretchen and your quilting is fantastic. Love the Baptist fan motif! Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings!

Susie said...

Dear Gretchen,
This is a beautiful project. Your hand quilting is perfection!