Sunday, January 16, 2022

Binding

A large part of my hand sewing last week was finishing the binding on blue split 9 patch.  I don't always finish the binding by hand sewing but I did for this quilt.

I had purchased this stripe to use as binding for another project but then changed my mind. I thought it was perfect for this scrappy quilt.

The binding strips were cut at 3" so there would be a 1/2" of stripe on each side of the edge.

I posted more information about the quilt on Friday's post.

I won't be keeping this quilt for myself, it's a present for a May wedding.

I appreciate all the concern and suggestions about my cracked fingers last Sunday. I've tried various products over the years. Superglue is the only product that stops the cracks from getting larger and actually makes them heal faster.

I have dry skin which is manageable most of the time. But when we have an arctic front come through, we need to turn on the gas heater to supplement our furnace. Our home really is dry then and the dry air just makes cracks in my fingers.

They're healed now and quilting has started again.

Linking to Kathys Slow Stitching Sunday, Stitching Stuff, Show & Tell Monday, Monday Making, Handmade Monday, Design Wall Monday, BOM's Away

20 comments:

Ivani said...

I love striped fabrics for binding and you chose a perfect one for this lovely quilt, Gretchen.
Glad to hear your hands have improved and healed faster. Have a great week.

Kate said...

Congrats on a beautiful finish! The striped binding works really well with the quilt.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I had never heard of using super glue like that but so glad you found something that works for you - the quilt is so pretty - I have used wide binding like that sometimes too when I want the binding to act like another border although a narrow border but still looks like a border.

Ray and Jeanne said...

The striped fabric is a perfect binding. The quilt is lovely! ~Jeanne

Pack Rat With a Plan said...

That stripe makes the perfect binding. Beautiful quilt.

Angela said...

This is a gorgeous quilt! I hope the lucky couple loves it!

Debbie said...

What a great binding. It goes well with the scrappiness of all the blue fabrics in the quilt. I have not cut a 3 inch binding as I prefer a more narrow measurement; yours looks amazing.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Glad to hear your hands are better! That striped binding is perfect for this blue scrappy quilt…a lovely wedding gift!

Karrin Hurd said...

I love using striped fabrics for binding. Glad your hands are better! I cut a finger with a rotary cutter last week and am waiting for this to heal up. Hope you have a great week!

CathieJ said...

I love striped bindings. This is a very pretty quilt.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I don't normally make this wide of binding but I wanted the striped fabric to show more. I just thought it looked so nice with all the scrappy blues.

K Reeves said...

Just gorgeous!

Jenny said...

What a beautiful wedding g quilt, it will be much loved and appreciated, I'm sure.

Sara said...

Beautiful!! I love blue and white quilts.

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Oh I adore stripy bindings (and polka dot bindings)! Blue is my fave too, so I love your quilt!

Chookyblue...... said...

Congrats on the finish the binding looks great....

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your quilt is stunning, Gretchen. Love the striped binding. Have a great week. Happy quilting

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

What an awesome wedding gift and done well ahead of the wedding!

QuiltGranma said...

If it is the dry air would a humidifier help?

Ronnie Finance Ltd said...

We offer legitimate Loans? We offer loan all kinds to prospective individuals, company, ($3,000.00 – $600, 000,000.00). Loan duration is from 1 to 25 years (Maximum) No collateral, No ITC CHECK and Blacklisted are welcome, Reply back with your Id number, Contact number and Full names to : apply@ronniefinance.ltd

Anthony Philips
Email: markthomasfinanceltd@gmail.com
Tell: +919667837169
Whats-App no +919667837169
Dr. Mark Thomas