Sunday, October 13, 2019

Slow Sunday Quilting

Every stitch that is quilted on Floral Triangles is that much closer to the finish!

This week I quilted this section. Stitched in the ditch along the edges of the straight borders, then quilted diagonally in the pieced border.


The red flower was also quilted.


Now I've moved onto an appliqued triangle. First I stitch the background fabric then I stitch in the ditch around the applique. I had been doing it the other way but I've since decided this is easier. 


All the blocks on the outside are half triangle blocks, the applique and pieced blocks alternate. 


I'm reaching up 5" - 6". I can reach farther for diagonal lines but my stitches aren't the greatest on curves if I try to reach farther. 

I have no deadline to complete the quilting, it will be finished when it is.








The leaves were prepped for the center medallion of Stars Around the Garden. I also selected the thread for each of the leaves. I did that when it was very sunny out. Colors just don't look the same at night as they do during the daytime.

I use Gutterman cotton thread for applique. There are 60 leaves on the medallion.


It's cooling off. I learned many years ago to bring plants back into the house before it gets cold. The shock of moving from cold into a warm house always sets them back.

I don't have a lot of plants that were outside, mainly my Christmas cactus. This one is loaded with buds. It will be in full bloom the end of October/first of November. The others cacti are more of a pink color, they'll bloom later in the winter.


This little guy was chewed up by a squirrel. I used to set my plants on the steps going up to the porch but several years ago, a groundhog chewed the Christmas cactus. He just chewed them up, didn't eat them. We have over 40 acres of delicious tender alfalfa on our farm, why didn't he eat that?

Since then I put the plants on a bench but I don't think a groundhog could have balanced on the railing to get this plant. It will take awhile but this cactus will come back.


I had impatience hanging baskets on the porch this summer. When the seed heads popped open, they dropped some seeds in the plants. It's nice to have some color now. When the impatience slack off, I'll pull them out but for now they can stay.

Linking to Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching, Oh Scrap, Bambi's Show & Tell MondayMonday MakingDesign Wall MondayBOM's AwayMoving It Forward, WIPs On Wednesday

21 comments:

Created by Kathi said...

I am so looking forward to Sunday's these days and seeing what you are stitching on your triangles quilt and how progress goes on your applique too ... both projects are amazing... and now a Christmas cactus has some impatients growing in it and you get color while it heals?!! LOVE IT TOO!!!
Have a wonderful week friend and good luck harvesting all that alfalfa! Kathi

Frances Meredith said...

Lovely to see your hand quilting transform your piece.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Interesting that you find quilting the background first is easier. Something I have never thought about. Since I quilt in a hoop I find my stitches are better if I adjust the quilt more often. But I do agree no use in worry about when the quilt will be finish, it's all about enjoying each stitch! Your quilting stitches are really a joy to see each week.

Kim said...

Floral Triangles is a beauty. I always think diagonal, straight line stitching always seems to make the applique pop. I too, have never thought about quilting the background first. Sixty little leaves to applique.....gosh that is a lot, but somehow I am thinking they will be a breeze for you. I always love visiting your place to see what exquisite pretties you are stitching!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Gorgeous quilting!!

Sarah said...

I positively swoon when I see your quilting! Seeing your Christmas cactus reminds me to go and check mine out and to plant my indoor hyacinth bulbs.

Quilter Kathy said...

Fun to see your quilted flowers and plants, and the real life ones!
I hope you show us the Christmas cactus when it blooms!

Karen said...

The quilting is looking good. What kind of batting do you prefer?

Angela said...

Your quilt is so pretty!

Karrin Hurd said...

Love your quilting, it is gorgeous!

Deb A said...

I love seeing the progress on this each week. Reminds me I must log off the computer and sit and quilt on my quilt!

Little Penpen said...

Oh my goodness, again.... this quilt and your quilting is amazing!!

Jenny said...

This is one gorgeous quilt, its fun to see your progress as you diligently quilt along!

Jill said...

Floral Triangles is getting prettier each week. The continuation of the diamond pattern quilting amongst the applique flowers is very pleasing.

Miaismine said...

Your quilting is so pretty - beautiful actually! I've been inspired and hope that when I'm ready to quilt my Mini Dresden, it will look as pretty as yours! Thank you for sharing your process!

Kat Scribner said...

BEAUTIFUL hand quilting !

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Stunning!

Lynette said...

How weird about the ground hog chewing up your plant, and who would think a squirrel would desire chewing on a cactus, of all things?? Crazy animals! I do love them, though. You made a lot of progress on the quilting this week!

Bonnie said...

As usual -- your hand quilting is gorgeous. I have had a Christmas cactus for many years -- 20 years or so. Then it started breaking off and once fell off the shelf. I was able to save a piece and get it to root. So the original plant was gone but the new one carries on for me. I love it when they bloom. I never thought to take it outside for the summer. I'll have to remember that for next year.

Turid said...

Great handwork.

Jayne Honnold said...

Oh my goodness, Gretchen, the quilting is absolutely glorious! Totally inspiring! And I know all too well about critters, as we have rabbits, raccoons and deer who just plain clean me out every spring when I am planting my pretty posies. This year, I planted lots of coleus - nobody seems to care for it, so it thrived!