Sunday, January 20, 2019

400 Yards & Still Quilting

This week I started quilting the applique on row 3 which is the center row of the Pastor's Attic quilt. I'm not halfway finished, I need to quilt to the end of this row before that happens.


 However, I have reached a milestone of sorts with my quilting. The first spool of thread, which held 400 yards of thread, is empty!


I really like YLI thread.

I buy my YLI thread at Yoder's or Lolly's in Shipshewana. I googled YLI thread to see where you can purchase it on line. Here is a link to YLI , there were other businesses listed. I suggest you google it and check for yourself.

Here is how far I quilted this week.

Right side border.

First right applique block.

Yes, this is the correct orientation for this block. On an older bed, this would drape on the side so it would look correct. You only notice when the block has a vase.


Second right applique block.

It takes awhile to get into all those little crevices.
I'm working on this center applique block.

Linking to Peacock PartyKathy's Slow Sunday Stitching, HQAL, Show & Tell Monday, Monday MakingDesign Wall MondayBOM's AwayMoving It Forward, Needle & Thread Thursday

20 comments:

Kathy S. said...

400 yards! That's amazing! Can't say it enough. I love checking in every Sunday for a progress report. Beautiful, Gretchen!

CathieJ said...

Wow, that is a whole lot of thread. I haven't heard of that quilting thread before. I will look into it. I am enjoying watching your progress. This quilt is beautiful.

Karrin Hurd said...


Love seeing your progress on this and your beautiful stitching!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Your stitched around every piece of appliqué? The tone block looks like it was a bit of a challenge. Looking great!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you found the wooden spools! I get the 1200 yard wooden spools of the plain color hand quilting thread for hand piecing and sometimes can find the variegated spools as well.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Isn't it amazing how much thread can be in a quilt I know I once used over 750 yards. I love YLI also but I still use Coats and Clark also. Your quilt is going to be gorgeous!

K Reeves said...

So inspiring Gretchen! I love seeing your quilt each HQAL post!

stitchingirlblog.wordpress.com said...

Wow! A whole spool of thread used in hand quilting! That really is an accomplishment. You quilting looks amazing!

Quilter Kathy said...

Congrats on that milestone! That's quite an accomplishment!
I like YLI thread too and the wooden spools are so cute!

Db said...

Good for you! Don’t think I’ve ever used YLI thread might have to check it out.

Created by Kathi said...

Hey Gretchen... Pastor's attic is coming right along!!! I love your text with the great photos you take :) I love YLI thread...there is a small selection at my local quilt shop here in North Carolina too.. but for the best selection I shop online at Red Rock threads.. they ship fast and are reliable :) Have a blessed week and enjoy your stitching! Kathi

Frog Quilter said...

Woohoo congratulations. Looking beautiful!

Tracy @It’s a T-Sweets Day! said...

It’s looking beautiful Gretchen! I have never even heard of YAu thread. I am going to have to try it out:). Have a wonderful day!!

Rebecca Grace said...

I love YLI thread, too -- not just the hand quilting thread, but I use YLI 100 wt silk for my applique. I get it from www.uncommonthread.com. 400 yards of hand stitching -- amazing!

Lori said...

That quilt with your quilting is stunning!!

Turid said...

Beautiful stitching and a lot of work.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

You are really progressing on this quilt and the quilting is so beautiful. You will have a great quilt and of course highly competitive in a show! Sorry for the late post - no internet!

Jayne Honnold said...

Progress! My grandmother loved using YLI thread; I have several spools of hers. I have never paid attention to which thread suits me best; I generally use whatever I find at hand.

Angie in SoCal said...

Amazing work, Gretchen. Using a spool of thread is no little feat. Congratulations.

Coleen Robinson said...

I'm in awe of your hand quilting. It is truly beautiful. Thank you for sharing your success with us.