Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Needlebooks

This past week I've worked on needlebooks. The directions are located in Gail Pan's Patchwork Loves Embroidery book but the embroidery for the books completed so far come from Gail's Christmas Patchwork Loves Embroidery.



First I made these books and followed the directions fairly completely.
I made the inside pocket finish at 3-1/2" instead of following the directions. I mean, if you're going to have a pocket, make it large enough to hold stuff.
Also the back of the book was supposed to be pieced but I didn't.
I don't like top stitching on the books so for the next 5 I made a few more changes. I did binding on all four sides which I turned and hand finished. I added snaps as my closures because I dislike ribbons on things. Ribbons never stay nice for me. I also sewed a velcro closure onto one side of the pocket to help keep items from falling out.

These embroidery designs came from Patchwork Loves Embroidery. I have to admit it is taking a lot more time to make these books than I anticipated. I'll be glad when they're all completed. You can be sure the people I gift these to will be lovers of hand work and will appreciate all the work I've put into the book.


This one is mine. I didn't notice I had switched the back and front before I sewed them together and I didn't want to take it apart.

There are 6 more books to be made but I'm not going to make them. I'll use the embroidered squares for something else. I just can't make anymore of these! Maybe I'll use them to make more pincushions someday. 

Linking to Esther's Wednesday WOW!, Let's Bee Social,  Needle & Thread Thursday, Finished Or Not Friday, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, TGIFF!, Show Off Saturday

6 comments:

Created by Kathi said...

I love your embroidery on these needlebooks... and I love the needlebooks themselves or at least what you shared :) I really enjoyed reading about your renovations to make them your own too.. I really like the snaps or velcro closures as well! I hope whoever receives these great booklets will put them to use and feel the love you put into each of them! Kathi

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Gretchen, just love your embroideries and what sweet gifts. Lucky people to receive them.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

You have really made some beautiful pin cushions and needle books! I admire you for making as many of the needle books that you did make!!!! Do not forget HQAL on Sunday! This will be great to show off!

Celtic Thistle said...

These are really lovely Gretchen thanks for linking them up to TGIFF

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Those are fabulous!

Lisa J. said...

Lovely little needlebooks.