Sunday, February 4, 2018

Bricks & Stepping Stones

I've been working hard on some of my long time unfinished projects but sometimes you just have to start something new. I have several new projects in the plans for this year. One of the new quilts I'm starting is Bricks & Stepping Stones, a free pattern from the Quiltville site.


I looked through all of Bonnie's free patterns and decided this was the easiest pattern on the list. I'm trying to use up older fabrics. In 2017 I pulled all the odds and ends of black fabrics, cut them into strips and stripped pieced them into 4 squares. See the cream fabric used with the black? That fabric is from mom's stash, she died 11 years ago. Who knows how long she had it. It is time to get some of these older fabrics used!
Whoops, wait a minute! Ok, I'm back. I just noticed I had sewn the 4-patches onto the rectangles incorrectly. This is the correct version.

I don't know how fast this quilt will come along. Hopefully I will have made a dent in the stash by the end of the year. And if you were wondering, this is one of the quilts on my list of 10.


I've been sewing the 4-patches onto rectangles as I sewed Sweet Surrender triangles. This is what I've sewn so far.


I've cut a lot of older fabrics with the intentions of sewing an autumn comforter. The browns are sewn and I've started started sewing the 4-patches onto this stack.

I'll sew the rectangles together when this pile is reduced and see how many blocks I have.

Linking to Oh Scrap!, Show & Tell Monday With Bambi, Em's ScrapbagLove Laugh Quilt, BOM's Away, Quilter's Monday, Jo's Country Junction, Sew Fresh Quilts, Sew Stitch Snap ShareMy Quilt Infatuation, Finished Or Not Friday, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, TGIFF!, Finish It Up Friday, Show Off Saturday


22 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love this idea. I can't wait to see the finished quilt top. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That looks like a GREAT use of some older stash fabrics!! I've made a similar pattern called Bricks and Blocks. Enjoy!

Pamela Arbour said...

I love your fabrics. Makes me want to start one too.

Sherry VF said...

I made the Bricks and Stones quilt several years ago. Like you said, it's fast, easy and will use up a good deal of stash in a hurry. I like that you've used a fall theme for your quilt.

Gretchen Weaver said...

It's a simple quilt. My goal is to have it completed by September so it's ready to take along to our son's plsce in October.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm not a real scrappy person but I have learned if I limit the variety of colors, I do like my scrappy quilts.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

great colors scheme

piecefulwendy said...

Doesn't it feel good to use up those older scraps? I think your quilt will be very scrappy and fun.

jann said...

Looks like a great pattern to go through the older fabrics. I'll look forward to seeing howit progresses.

Jennie in GA said...

I just finished making this one. Not only was it fast and fun...I loved it when it was done. Good luck with yours.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

A great way to use up those scraps and extra fabrics!

Sherrill said...

I made one of those once (long ago). It turns out so cute but then really, all of Bonnie's turn out cute. It'll be adorable!

mangozz said...

That is a really fun quilt to make! It's quick and easy and I did the same as you - I used a lot of older fabrics. It came out really cute but it has been waiting to be quilted for a long time. I can't seem to decide on a design.

Gretchen Weaver said...

The great thing is, I don't need to quilt it. I'm donating the top to a school auction. They'll finish it. This is a win-win for me.

evaj said...

Thank you for your link this week to Show and Tell Monday !! Bambi

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A great scrappy idea, even in a controlled palette! Thanks for sharing with 'sew stitch snap SHARE'

Lisa said...

You did well to catch that... I would have picked it up at the quilting stage LOL

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I have this on my list. And I also have fabric from my mom who died a number of years ago. Maybe I should so a leader Ender too......

Gretchen Weaver said...

I can't believe how easy this block is. I had cut strips for the 4 patches and just sewed on them in between projects last year. Then I cut the rectangles. I need a big top so I've just been sewing the 4 patches to the rectangles. This project is moving along so fast, it's great and I'm using older fabrics too. Win, win! Try it, you'll be glad you did.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

It looks great so far! I do so love easy patterns that go together quickly.

Karen said...

I like the red fabric with the blue flowers. At one time, I was looking for fabric with that combo.

Lynette said...

This will be really pretty - the simplicity of the blocks makes it a perfect leader/ender project or for little bursts when you need a break from more intense works.