Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Scrappy Barn Quilt Flimsy

Scrappy barn quit is a flimsy! It's a log cabin pattern by Edyta Sitar from her book Scrappy Fireworks Quilts. In her book she calls her quilt Blue Barn Quilt but I've renamed my quilt to scrappy barn quilt. Edyta also has an individual pattern called Blue Barn but they're not the same pattern.


I was disappointed when the center of my quilt was sewn together, it looked rather blah and dull. The narrow black border and the outside brown border brought the center to life! I am very pleased with this flimsy. The quilt top measures 80-1/2" by 94".

I had been using the small leftover strips to make the centers of the log cabin blocks but since I have enough blocks pieced, what do I do with those small strips and all the other 1-1/4" strips? You start another quilt!


String X is the project to use strips. I'm even sewing the very little pieces together to make larger strips. The paper base of the block is cut 4-1/2" by 10-1/2".  I'm also using triangles left from other projects too.

It's ok if the bottom corners aren't covered, you're going to cut the corners into a point.

String X is a Bonnie Hunter pattern and can be found here. I don't know how many blocks I'll make, so far 5 rectangles have been pieced. 

Linking to To Do Tuesday, Midweek Makers, Clever Chameleon, Wednesday Wait LossNeedle & Thread Thursday

19 comments:

Katie said...

Your flimsy is gorgeous - nice work! And I love your new scrap quilt! I really enjoy making scrap quilts, but I get overwhelmed by keeping up with all of the scraps!

maggie fellow said...

wow - on the log cabin and I certainly enjoy using the extra strips for string x

Ray and Jeanne said...

I love your Scrappy Barn Quilt! The borders - both black and brown are perfect. I enjoy making string quilts and I'd like to make the barn quilt pattern after seeing yours. ~Jeanne

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so many narrow strips - it turned out really well.

Gretchen Weaver said...

The log cabin flimsy will be give to a friend to long arm next week. I'm keeping this one. I've put all the 1-1/4" strips on a tray, that's how they'll get used. This is NOT going to be a fast project but the blocks will get done someday.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The scrappy barn quilt is really beautiful! I love that layout. Fun idea to make those String X blocks, too - I'll enjoy seeing how that comes together.

grammajudyb said...

Fabulous job on the Scrappy Barn ! String X is going to be good too! You go!

Quilting Gail said...

Your flimsy is absolutely beautiful!!!

Marsha Cooper said...

I've been itching to do another log cabin. Yours is beautiful.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fantastic scrappy quilt top! Moving from one scrappy project to the next? Keep up the good work.

Joyce said...

Such a stunning quilt. SO much sewing! Love your use of scraps.

Rebecca Grace said...

That is one of the most stunning layouts of Log Cabin blocks I've ever seen, Gretchen! It's gorgeous! Thanks also for sharing the link to the String X pattern. I'd seen a couple of those floating around on social media and they had caught my eye as well. I have a TON of leftover 1 1/2" strips from my pineapple log cabin and have been looking for a way to use them up.

Preeti said...

Scrappy Barn is a Beauty. At 80" by 94" she is also a Beast. Gretchen, you just did the impossible. You combined the Beauty with the Beast in a perfect marriage. Kudos to you. Splendid!!!

Lynette said...

Very striking barn quilt~! Congrats on the flimsy accomplishment. Extremely successful scrappy top.

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

Wow, I love, love your log cabin quilt. I am also in awe of your dedication to using the smallest of scraps. A log cabin like yours in on my wishlist, but I think you've exceeded my wildest fantasies with taking on the String X. Thanks for linking up to the Chameleon's party.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Such a pretty top! Love scrappy quilts. And what a great use for the scraps! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Susan said...

The additional rows fit perfectly - well done!

Janice Holton said...

Thanks for sharing this, Gretchen. It's a lovely log cabin quilt!

Janice Holton said...

Beautiful log cabin! Thanks for sharing, Gretchen!