Tuesday, June 23, 2020

John Deere Panel Quilt

The John Deere panel quilt is finished. He was long arm quilted by the 3 Sisters, New Paris, Indiana and measures 91" by 100", perfect size for a double bed.




I love how this quilt has turned out. I started with this panel which I really don't think is very attractive. It's too saturated with orange and red and I don't think the blue and green plaid improves it any.

I still haven't figured out what the crop in the spring section is supposed to be. Definitely not spring in the Midwest.

I purchased the panel because I wanted the tractors, they look exactly like my father's old JD 6/20.

I thought about how to finish this panel for years, it came together very nicely.


I used 2" strips pulled from the 2" strip box to make the log cabin blocks.

I took this picture of a corner because I wanted you to see the lovely stripe used for the binding.

When I saw this fabric at the store, I bought it immediately, I knew it would be perfect for this quilt!


The fabric on the back is a neutral beige/brown.

An overall medium/large stippling was used for the quilting. This quilt is going to be gifted to a 12 year old boy. No fancy custom quilting necessary.

Link to post about the quilt.

Linking to To Do Tuesday, Midweek MakersWednesday Wait LossClever ChameleonPut Your Foot DownNeedle & Thread Thursday, Oh Scrap

27 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

You really brought that panel to life!! And just look at all the wonderful scraps put to good use.

chrisknits said...

What an awesome quilt, he will love it!!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Gretchen! WOW this quilt turned out lovely. I am impressed with how nicely those panel pieces turned out. You would never know! I agree that the plaid didn't really enhance them in any way. I think my favorite parts are the small little squares and the leaves in between. It is gorgeous. Thank you for linking up today. ~smile~ Roseanne

Rose Marie said...

Awesome quilt! I love working with panels and your idea worked out very well.

Nana said...

Fantastic way to completely change and use the focus of the panel. He will cherish it for life.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That turned out beautifully, Gretchen! You would never know it was the same panel!

Florida Farm Girl said...

Don't you love it when an idea comes together and works? That's a really nice quilt.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Fabulous quilt! Those log cabin blocks are great.

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Beautiful quilt...love all the pretty
colors..have a great day!

Angie in SoCal said...

What a fabulous quilt! I, too, had seen that fabric and passed it up because I could not see how to use that panel. Plus I know no one who had a tractor. On Grandpa's 7 acre farm we did all of it with a hoe, a weeder and a shovel. love those maple blocks and log cabins. The stripe fabric is the icing on the cake. Thanks for sharing, Gretchen. It was a treat.

Katie said...

What a lucky 12 year old boy! It's beautiful. (I'm glad you cut away that green plaid :p)

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Hoorah! A big finish! Looks great!!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Another beauty Gretchen! You did great on working around the panel. Hugs

Kat Scribner said...

It's huge. I love it, all the autumn colors.

Created by Kathi said...

What a great quilt you have designed from a simple panel. I am glad you made it 4 separate blocks... the maple leaf layout is great and the log cabins are great... Love the striped binding... and the sunflower fabric you used too :) You have a fun stash to dig from :D The quilting is perfect! Kathi

The Joyful Quilter said...

I still can't quite get over how you transformed a humble panel into this spectacular quilt. It's incredible!!!

Susan said...

Love how this turned out! You did a great job surrounding those panels with a wonderful design

For the love of geese said...

That panel sure isn't very attractive but what you chose to do with it is amazing. Such a beautiful finish. Thank you for sharing in Put your foot down.

QuiltGranma said...

you turned an awful panel into a lovely quilt!

gayle said...

Wow, you really elevated that panel!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

This is an amazing quilt! It's a triumph of design and color. For the record, I like the tractors (we love John Deere around here).

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great combination of blocks to highlight those panels. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Wendy F said...

What a wonderful way to use that panel! I'm sure it will be loved.

Nikki said...

Very creative! Love the setting.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

You finished this perfectly! I love how you framed the panels. The log cabin blocks are perfection. Great job! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Jenny said...

Wonderful, you have made the tractor panel into a work of art!

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

That panel was average by any standard, but your finished quilt is totally amazing! The leaves are great and I love the setting into the log cabins. One very lucky 12 yo. Thanks for linking up with the Chameleon's Colour & Inspiration Tuesday. :)