Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Zippy-Strippy Variation

At the November retreat I sewed a crib sized zippy-strippy top. This week I quilted her with my Elna 720 sewing machine.


I divided the quilt into 4ths diagonally by marking with a X,  drew a + for the pivot points then quilted her with inverted V's one half inch apart.

I think she turned out pretty well. 

She measures 43" by 50-1/2", a nice sized crib quilt.

I have a small assortment of stripped fabrics. This stripe wasn't a perfect match but it looked the best of what I had. 

The fabrics used were a pack of 2-1/2" strips of Candy Swirls from Connecting Threads. There were 20 strips in this pack. The white fabric is Bella solid - white bleached.


Last summer I bought fabric from Connecting Threads that was on clearance including the fabric I used on the back of the quilt.

In the picture the loops look gray but they are blue. The fabric is from Amanda Jean Nyberg's Good Neighbor's collection.

Linking to - Sew, Stitch, Snap SHOW, Let's Bee Social, My Quilt Infatuation, Finished Or Not Friday, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, TGIFF!, Let's Make Baby Quilts, Finish It Up Friday, Free Motion Mavericks

15 comments:

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A lovely bright quilt. And I love how you did the borders, with those little HST's popped in! Thanks for sharing with 'sew stitch snap SHARE'.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like the way you broke those strips up with the white and then the square borders.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Now this is different. I like the way you cut some of the strips on an angle - adds a lot to the quilt! Good job! I like the border!

Pamela Arbour said...

Love the texture your quilting gives!

Alison V. said...

This is so fun! I love the quilting and the backing is a great choice.

Jayne said...

It turned out lovely! Your quilting was the perfect choice!

Carrolyn V said...

Lovely quilt and cleverly quilted! I love the straight line quilting.....so much better than sterile pantographs I have seen on so many quilts. More original and heartfelt. Great Job. Carrolyn V

Vicki in MN said...

A very fun quilt, I love the border designs you did.

Sandy Panagos said...

I'm not a hug fan of jelly-roll-race quilts, but your borders and binding really make this one. Love it!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Gretchen,
What a nice finish to the quilt top you made at retreat. I think the binding is perfect and it gives the quilt a little bit of whimsy. Someone will enjoy it and feel all the love you stitched into it. ~smile~ Roseanne

Louise said...

I really like your variation of a strip quilt! All the little squares around the border really make it special. And your quilting looks fabulous!

Lynette said...

Nice finish. That stripe for the binding may not match perfectly, but the effect is terrific. It plays nicely with the quilt colors, but also stands out color-wise just enough to make a very pleasing difference.

Leanne Parsons said...

It's beautiful! I really love the quilting and I think the striped binding is the perfect finish for it :) Thanks for linking with TGIFF this week!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a nice quilt. Congrats! on your finish.

Unknown said...

Great article..I am looking so forward to your blogcomment and
I love your page on your post.. That is so pretty
FMix Parlay