Saturday, December 30, 2017

Last Finish of 2017!

2017 was my first year to participate in the Rainbow Scrappy Challenge and my first RSC quilt is finished! I sewed the binding on the 4-patch summer quilt yesterday. She's finished except for the label which I forgot to add. I'll get around to it sometime.


She is a big king sized but I like them to completely cover the mattress and reach down the sides. I had planned to curve the corners, but I forgot and didn't remember until after the binding was sewn on.





A summer quilt doesn't have batting, just the top and backing. Tammy Payette of Three Sisters Fabric, New Paris, Ind, was the long arm quilter. She did an overall simple medium stippling. I asked her if she had any problems and she said she had to watch the tension closely but it wasn't too bad. This is a picture of the back. The quilting shows on the front of the quilt but didn't show in a picture.


I needed to piece the backing. I was trying to make the back have an off side plus but it didn't turn out quite right. This backing caused me more frustration than the quilt front did!

It feels good to have this quilt finished even if I won't be able to use it for six months. I hope you enjoyed the pictures, it is cold and windy outside!

Linking to - Scrap Happy SaturdayQuilting is More Fun than Housework, Show & Tell Monday With BambiLove Laugh Quilt, BOM's Away, Quilter's Monday, Let's Bee SocialMy Quilt Infatuation, Finished Or Not Friday, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, TGIFF!, Finish It Up Friday

35 comments:

Jennifer said...

wow! (and welcome!) your first year RSCing and you even finished your quilt! good for you!

Monica said...

Congratulations, it is beautiful! It looks great against the snow, too. :D Happy new year!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It is beautiful!!

June D said...

Impressive to have such a huge finish - and small pieces! Congratulations!

Quilting Babcia said...

A beautiful finish to round out the year, congratulations!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love how that turned out, Gretchen! Just beautiful, and very summery!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Cold and snowy here as well! LOVE how this turned out...congratulations on a great RSC finish :)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is just awesome! My kind of quilt, but a light weight quilters flannel for a bat would give some stability as it ages without the thickness.

Pamela Arbour said...

Congratulations! You did a great job. It is beautiful.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Gretchen it turned out so pretty!!!!! I like the way you did the back - piecing backs are a a crap shoot and we are lucky if they turn out - Great job and nice finish to 2017

Jayne said...

This is gorgeous! What a beautiful summer quilt! You took the RSC challenge and ran with it!

Unknown said...

In love that it's a summer quilt photographed in inches of snow! :)

Sherrill said...

Those look like really tiny pieces and such a big quilt! Congrats on starting and finishing in the same year (right, yes?). A summer quilt out in the snow! HA That looks SUPER cold and I really detest the cold.

The Joyful Quilter said...

You are an RSC overachiever!! I've been participating for 3 years and have only this year completed my first Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt. Spectacular finish, your Summer Quilt!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Beautiful finish Gretchen. I love all the colors in it. Thanks for sharing it with Oh Scrap! I always love to see what you are up to.

Happy New Year!

Cathy Melancon said...

Such a beautiful and fantastic quilt! Congrats on the finish! I love the idea of a summer quilt with no batting in between! Thanks for sharing! Happy New Year!!!

Preeti said...

That is a beast of a quilt but really looks like a Beauty!!! Wish you lots of quilty goodness in 2018.

scraphappy said...

Congratulations on your fabulous finish. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the new year.

Kate said...

Such a stunning rainbow! And you finished an RSC in your first year! I can't ever say that. LOL

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Your quilt looks wonderful!

Lynette said...

What a wonderful share :) Congratulations! Your rainbow quilt is perfect. And boy can I relate to the backing woes, particularly when you're wanting a nice big king.

Kris said...

Wow that is lovely!

Lisa in Port Hope said...

This is amazing, congratulations on your finish!

Karen said...

I think I like your rainbow challenge quilt better than any other I have seen.

evaj said...

Thank you for your inspiration on the Show and Tell Monday! Bambi

Katie Z. said...

What a fabulous quilt!

Gosia @ Quilts My Way said...

Fabulous work. Thank you for sharing.

mangozz said...

Your quilt is beautiful! Congrats!

Laura said...

I love how such a simple design packs a powerful punch. This is such a beatiful quilt and I've paused to look at it several times!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Great finish. Lots of colour. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

somehow I missed this post and just saw it now sure is lovely - I always need a light batting of some type in my quilts but then I'm cold usually a little cold in the summer with the A/C

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Really beautiful! Wow! What's the finished size of those tiny squares?! Love the photos, too.

Gretchen Weaver said...

The little squares finish at 1" and the larger squares are 2". I figured there are 9000 squares total in the whole quilt. I didn't count until after the quilt top was pieced.

Quilting Nonnie said...

I love RSC! I am greatly impressed that you made the quilt AND finished it all in one year. I have the quilt from my first year as a flimsy ready for the next stage. Maybe I'll make this as a summer quilt without batting; thanks for the great idea! Your idea of not counting the squares until after the quilt is made is a perfect idea. I always cringe when I read a pattern that says: "Cut 1,562 2" squares." Ugh!

vaiybora said...

very beautiful and so lovely work :) i like your good idea ,Thanks for the inspiration!

หนังออนไลน์