Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Blue Squares Quilt

A year ago I had ordered a set of 10" squares of Winter Rhapsody from Connecting Threads. There were 16 squares in the package. I also order 1 yard of Sparkles to be used for the border. I didn't know what I was going to do with the fabrics but something always comes along.

Last winter I was looking through a Missouri Star Quilt magazine and saw the picture of their Round Peg, Square Hole kit. I'm always attracted to blue quilts, so I tore the picture out of the magazine. The picture was on a page entitled Modern Quilts! Me? . . a modern quilter?


My quilt is based on the picture in the magazine and my version finishes at 58". It was really sunny out so the colors look slightly washed out but they're not.

The blue circle fabric wasn't part of the 10" squares. I used a piece of the blue fusions that I used in my Dear Jane and the churn dash quilt.

The backing is pieced and the flange border is ready to go. I just have to decide how I want to quilt her with my limited machine quilting expertise, straight lines, wavy lines or spiral?

This quilt and the yellow Circle of Squares will be pin basted sometime and hopefully they'll be quilted this summer.

Linking to - Love Laugh Quilt, BOM's Away, Quilter's Monday, Fiber Tuesday Sew, Stitch, Snap SHOW, Sew Fresh Quilts, Esther's Wednesday Wow!My Quilt InfatuationFinished Or Not Friday, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, TGIFF!, Crazy Mom Quilts, Show Off Saturday

15 comments:

Little Quiltsong said...

Love this - it is beautiful!

Rebecca Grace said...

I love this! The one circle block is such a fun surprise.

Gretchen Weaver said...

This was a a fun and easy quilt to make.

Carrolyn V said...

I can always count on your blog entries to inspire and make me smile. This quilt is darling.....and modern enough for my niece and nephew set I am making graduation quilts for etc.....yet it is traditional enough that I love it! Thanks for sharing. Another enjoyable morning cup of coffee. Carrolyn V (not Rod)

Teresa said...

simple but oh so interesting

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Gretchen,
I saw the little image on Esther's website and thought, ooh a blue quilt. I have to check that out! I too am a huge fan of blue hues and a blue and white quilt. Just lovely - the fabrics just shine and that white looks so crisp and clean. Ooh, and a flange! I look forward to seeing how you quilt - a spiral would work, straight lines too . . . I could even see wavy since it's blue. You're not limited in quilting skills - you're developing (me too)! LOVE it. ~smile~ Roseanne

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I like this quilt because it is different, not really a modern, and the colors are beautiful! How about cross hatching in the squares and a circle in the circle?

Cathy said...

You are right...something always comes along! What a fun quilt.

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

I love this quilt pattern. I'm a real fan of blues, so I absolutely adore the finish. Have a great day! --Andrea

Birthe Marie said...

So simple and so beautiful! Nice design and lovely blue colours! I like it very much! :-)

Mystic Quilter said...

Lovely quilt, lovely colours. This takes me back to snowy days when you can have those bright blue skies - and very, very cold!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

All blocks were 'modern' at one time. Nice quilt.

Glenda said...

Hi Gretchen when I saw this quilt on Esther's blog it jumped out at me as the circle reminded me of Jonthan Livingston seagull LOL. That wee circle has made this quilt just think of the stories one could tell ones Grandies when they ask Why is only one round? Lovely fabrics and glad they finally made it in to such a fun quilt. Looking forward to seeing how you quilt it now. Hugs Glenda

Gosia @ Quilts My Way said...

Looks great !!! Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Lovely quilt!we love visiting in your blog...we will come back soon.
สูตรบาคาร่า
goldenslot register
สล็อต ออนไลน์ ได้ เงิน จริง
GCLUB มือถือ