▼

Sunday, September 27, 2026

Quilting Elegant Garden

This was a busy week so I only completed two Elegant Garden blocks. It takes time to stitch around all the leaves!

I like all of this block except for the flower. I wish now I would have just come up with my own design. I had tried to improve the block by adding the embroidery but it's a disapointment. Oh well.


This block ticks all the squares but it took me several days to get it quilted.


I did not stitch around the yellow circles, too many thicknesses of fabric under it.

I was in Wakarusa last week. The downtown flower garden has been completely cleaned up and tilled. Those red dahlias were a disappointment, they just weren't colorful. Hopefully next year's flowers will be more vibrant.

Then I stopped at Grandma's Pantry, their flowerbed was alive with color! The begonias and dusty Miller plants were bright and cheerful with color. I couldn't tell if they mums were planted or if they had pots sitting in the center. They look nice which ever way they are. 


I don't know how long they'll leave their plants in the bed, maybe until it freezes?

Here is another picture of Elegant Garden. Row two is completed and I rolled the quilt stick. I quilted the seamline between the two rows then rolled again. Row three is the center row, I've started quilting the pineapple block.

Elegant Garden is designed by Edyta Sitar, Laundry Basket Quilts.

Linking to Patchwork & Quilts, Kathy's Slow Stitching Sunday, Stitching Stuff, Oh Scrap, Sew & Tell, Handmade Monday, Craftastic Monday, Design Wall Monday, Monday Musings, To Do Tuesday 

15 comments:

  1. The quilting is moving along and is looking good. It's hard to revisit a block you weren't 100% happy with. Enjoy your stitching time this week, hopefully it won't be so hectic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That flower will just be a splash of color when everybody else will look at that quilt. You will probably see the flower you don't like. But I love that you can just continue happily stitching along.

    The quilt block flower gardens were a little blip on our tv here in Ohio! I thought of you as soon as I saw them. I think it was on a farm-related channel that my husband watches. I recognized it as soon as I saw it. The crew interviewed a group of about three ladies that planted one of the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love what you sew and quilt but this time, I have to agree with you: that flower looks unfinished. I looked at the other blocks and I believe something should have been in the middle of the purple flower. A little bit of embroidery? I did a little drawing of what I'm thinking. I can't paste it here so I'll send it by email. I hope it inspires you. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize that you were quilting around all the flowers and leaves. That is a whole lot of quilting to do. As usual, your quilting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful quilting on your blocks, Grechen;))) this is such a gorgeous quilt ; enjoy your time quilting...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!! I will send you my mailing address so you can send this quilt to me when you are done it lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I already have a designated recipient in mind for this quilt. I can see possibly making this pattern again someday, she's a beauty!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful blocks, Gretchen. IMO, I think the big purple flower looks a bit sad. I like the French knots (?) on it, but maybe add some more orange embroidery? Just a suggestion. Beautiful flower display at Grandma's Pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can leave that flower or embellish it later with stitches or additional applique. Honestly, there are so many blocks to view, the person looking might not even notice anything off in this block!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The flower just turned out a little too small; you could highlight it with a few colored embroidery stitches... though that is really nitpicking, because your work is exquisite and I always admire it with great pleasure.
    Warm hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful quilt, both the appliqué and hand quilting. Fun to see the flower garden, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are moving right along with this one, Gretchen. Great job! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you have any more of the gold fabric from the buds, Gretchen? What if you added a little gold circle applique on top of that purple flower that you don't care for? It's such a beautiful quilt but I know how it can get under a maker's skin to have put so much into a project and not love even one block of it.

    ReplyDelete